XM/Sirius Signal Question

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by electronflux, Jun 27, 2011.

1. electronflux

electronflux Member

I've been thinking about getting XM Radio for the pup and was wondering about how the signal is transmitted. Is it straight from a satellite or like cell-towers. Most of the places I camp, I get little or no cell signal in the mountains and I don't want to waste my money on something that won't work when I get to where I want to use it.

I went to their website and then called them. I couldn't get any info, it's like they wouldn't even consider answering my question until I bought one.

2. ZPARTY

ZPARTY New Member

Sirius/XM is fed from satellite. So long as you have a somewhat clear shot to the sky you should get a signal. Heavy tree cover can cause the signal to be degraded, but I have not had an issue where I couldnt get a signal at all, and the content is great!!

3. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

It's from a satellite, it works anywhere you have a clear view to the sky. They have some neat radios that are portable and can be used anywhere, but keep in mind the portables may or may not work inside the PuP as the roof may block the signal.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp49759/si5443035/cl1/xmp3i_with_free_navy_siriusxm_cap

If you do end up having problems with signal, there is a home kit that comes with an external antenna. Simply place the antenna on the PuP roof and you should have no problems getting a signal.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp49750/si4025816/cl1/xmp3_home_kit

I've had Sirius/XM for years, almost since the beginning, so let me know if you have any other questions.

4. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Ditto on DGeddes' comments! I take my boom box (is that old school enough for ya?) every trip and it's playing non-stop. As well, I just run the little home antenna that should come with your actual module-player up on the roof. Just run it out of one the wall zippers. I get better reception with that than I do in my car here in Vegas! No kidding. I've used it 8200' and it still works.. No cell service of course.

5. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

I agree with all that was said it is Sat based.....BUT..... most major city's have a terestial based system to assist the signal.. Here in Portland and Seattle, Sirius/XM would not work to well with out it. (mountains, trees, & buildings block the signal)not all Sirius/XM raidos can use this terestial signal. Most new cars can and the newer raidos sold.

We have a XMp3i in our trailer and have a high gain ant. on the roof to help from tree shadowing. Works really well plus it's portable. So when we go bike riding I can take it with me and use a pair of ear buds. In the trailer we us a Car kit to hook it up to the trailers sound system. At home I use a home kit. All in all it is very versatile. We have a lifetime subscription, so No monthly payments. On avg. it breaks even in about 3 years.

6. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Sorry dup post

7. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

We started out with the portable XM to use between our different cars. I called and complained to XM that it wasn't working as well in one of my cars as it did the other tuning it through the FM radio . So I wanted to cancel my subscription. Instead they gave me 3 months free and a home kit which we now use in the house and while camping. Just call and try and cancel and see what they offer you.

8. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

I generally camp in heavily wooded areas in NM and CO with no problems. I have a cheap receiver that I move from the truck to the pup. You just need to get a cheap antenna from someone like Amazon for under $10 bucks and glue a Velcro tab on the roof of the pup so it will stay in place if the wind blows or the pup wiggles a little. I also have a lifetime subscription. You don't need to get a home kit if you have a external receiver that is removable in your TV. It takes me 2 minutes to move my receiver and power plug to the pup.

9. Stubs

Stubs New Member

Another trick if your in the Midwest region is to make sure you have a clear shot with your antenna to the south. Most of the XM/Sirius satalites run on a south to north Trajectory!
    So If you keep it pointing south youll always pick up and maintain the cleaner signal from the sats coming over the horizon.

10. electronflux

electronflux Member

thanks everyone

11. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Love our XM/Serius; wouldn't think of leaving it at home.

Plays without interruption in our PUP as long as it ithe radio unit is in the corner of either front or back bunk. We have, on occasion, looped the receiver wire over the end bunk (on the inside) ceiling support when we wanted better reception. What's your favorite channel?

12. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

95% is sat feed but they have boosters around big citys they use cell towers to rebroadcast the signal. I have seen there cabinets on cell sites. I love my sirius!!!!!! since they went to digital tv and cant get a picture we just listen to sirius!!!! Point the antenna to the north for the best signal.

13. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Deep Tracks!
    Underground Garage a close 2nd.

14. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

NASCAR,NFL,BLUEGRASS JUNICTION,ESPN POTUS AND MANY MORE

15. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

Our favorite channels

16. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

Love radio classics!! But like DSCinVegas still have an old boombox. We may have to breakdown and look at the newer radios. We, too, have lifetime subscriptions, actually have 2 separate lifetime subscriptions. Does this mean we can listen in the next lifetime as well?? [LOL] [LOL]

17. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Willie's Roadhouse

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

'60s on 6, '80s on 8, classical music and contemporary jazz. I only listen while driving and intermix Sirius with my CDs. I never listen to talk radio of any kind because I just can't stand the blabber. I don't even like it when the Sirius announcers pop in every few songs to say something on the music channels. Not being a sports fan I never listen to that, either, on TV or radio.

19. electronflux

electronflux Member

I've decided against getting it after all. As much as I would like to get it, I can't justify what they charge just to be able to listen when out in the boonies. I know there are all kinds of docks and whatnot so I could listen anywhere, but I already have all that stuff for my iPods, so I'll just keep using those.

I'm the same way, and I can't stand commercials. So I use my iPod and listen to the music I want, not the music they want me to hear.

20. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I absolutely HATE commercials, but that's why you get Sirius or use CDs. When I watch TV I mute commercials the instant they start.