yakima base rack on coleman

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by jbird720, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jbird720

jbird720 New Member

Any DIY setups for the Yakima base rail on the roof of a Coleman Santa Fe? Would require +60" rails

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

3. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Here's my DIY bike rack using the roof rails on my Sun Valley. I've since upgraded to a Niagara and built a similar rack for it using Swagman trays from Overstock.com.

You can buy the anchor plates that fit in the rail from yakima.

Sun Valley bike rack:
    [​IMG]

Attached to the roof rails:
    [​IMG]

Niagara bike rack:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    JR

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

5. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I like your DIy Rack for the niagra, how did you fasten it into the side rails??? any chance you have any close up pictures of the construction details.

6. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

I made my base mounting system by converting an older Yakima rack that orginally fit the old style car drip rails. I made flat plates that set on the rail system and then fabricated flat nutplates that slide into the rails. The nutplates measure 3/4" wide and 1" long and are basically 1/8" thick. I made mine out of 1/4" stock and ground off an 1/8" on each side so they would fit into the rails. I tapped them with a 1/4"-20 thread. I also cut the 1 1/4" dia crossbars and inserted 1" Dia. aluminum tubing from a snow roof rake to increase the crossbar length. The crossbar length is locked in positon with the press pins from an old walker I picked up at a garage sale. I love repurposing stuff. If you still have an ABS roof, I would be hesitant to start drilling holes to mount a rail system. I don't have much faith in the longivity of an ABS roof (mine failed after 11 yrs.)
    See this thread for more information and pictures. There are more pictures in my webshots albums.

7. jbird720

jbird720 New Member

Great ideas! Mines like starcraft aways rails

8. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

9. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

If you are asking me, there is nothing in my system that is PVC. Mine is all aluminum tubing and steel plate construction. The base rail system is glued onto the roof using a high strength industrial adhesive. It came from the factory this way. The crossbar legs are bolted into the base rail using stainless allen head bolts.
    Here's a couple of pictures of the nutplates and how they fit into the rail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you need to get the rails first here are a couple of links for them.
    First one
    Cheaper one

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

So, where do you get the pieces that go into the track? What are they called? Wonder if they would work in a Yakima rack system.

11. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The pieces that go into the track are called "anchor plates" If you buy the Yakima landing pads, they are included with the pads. You can buy extra ones from Yakima or there are on line sources which are cheaper. I chose to make my own using standard threading. The Yakima plates are metric. Here's the link to the Yakima page that has the part information. You can buy just the anchor plates or the entire hardware package that includes the bolts washers and anchor plates.
    Another source is here.

12. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Thanks for the info again. After I posted, I saw that you made your own. I don't have the tools or expertise to do that. I'll probably get the landing pads and work up from there.

13. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I assumed you had the factory rails on your roof. If you don't, you're need a different mounting system than mine.

If you do have the factory rails on your roof, here's how you can use my system.

I used the anchor plates from Yakima. They come in an 8 pack for about $20 including shipping. They slide into the tracks. They aare drilled and tapped for metric threads, but I retapped them for 1/4-20 threads so I could find the hardware I needed. a long bolt goes down through the PVC frame and threads into the anchor plate. Once you tighten the bolts the rack won't move.

Hope this helps,
    JR

14. jbird720

jbird720 New Member

Are you easily able to take the rack off and use it as a bike rack while camping?

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I know , there's one in every crowd , but there is no way i would attach anything to the Fleetwood /Coleman rack system .
    I'm not sure if this would just apply to just Alumtite roofs or others , but these racks are prone to leaking without having anything atached .

16. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I think that was with the old way of attaching the roof rack. Used to be that they were screwed to the roof. I don't know why they couldn't get it figured out. But the newer roofs have the tracks glued down. No signs of water leaks on our new roof, at least not yet.

17. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I agree, if they're properly sealed it should not be an issue.