Yakima roof rack mounting triangles

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by pianewman, Aug 8, 2011.

1. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Just returned from a 700 mile camping trip. Once again, I'm amazed that, after 30k miles +, (we go to CO almost every summer, from VA) our 2002 Coleman Santa Fe works flawlessly, with all systems functioning normally. The ABS roof is intact, even with A/C and forward mounted bicycle roof rack. We currently carry 4 adult bikes on a roof rack, across the roof, and have put 6k miles on it like this.

I'm bothered by the weight, though, and would like to mount a third crossbar, so I can stagger the bikes, putting the outer bikes farther back. This would require putting a crossbar through the front of the A/C housing (I believe I can do this....haven't opened it up yet, but I believe there's enough empty space where I need it.)

Question: I can't find the white triangular roof brackets, which are the attaching points for the crossbar, on the Yakima site. Are they still being manufactured? I need 2 of them to mount the additional crossbar.

Thanks.

2. mv520

mv520 Active Member

3. LBL 1206

LBL 1206 New Member

Don't know about white ones. May have been a Fleetwood only specific from Yakima.
    However, you can still order the rail 'bar towers from Yakima. They're black but should fit your roof rails.

Go to a local bicycle shop or sportings good store and ask if they sell Yakima towers. If so, buy, try, and return if
    they don't fit. If they do and you don't like the black, a spray can of appliance white may fit the bill.

4. smellott

smellott Livin' in NH but a WV Mountaineer for life

I believe the OP is talking about this type of rack. Look at the white towers holding the cross bars. They are specific to Fleetwood/Coleman for the Yakima racks but are not sold by Yakima direct to the public. They were used on the ABS roofs from 1996 to 2003.

[​IMG]

I see them occasionally on eBay and Craigslist but always as part of an entire rack assembly. The best bet would be to contact Bekley's RV in Thurmont, MD as they purchased most of the available parts from the auction of the FTCA factory assets. http://www.beckleysrvs.com/

5. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Gee, thanks, NHeer! I'm about 80 miles from Beckley's, but I've just driven by them 4 times in the last 2 weeks. NOW you tell me [:D]
    Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea that Beckley's effectively "bought out" the auctioned stock. Curiously, my 12-year-old son, just the other day, asked how I would get parts for the pup, since the manufacturing plant was closed. Now I'm going to find out! I'll phone Beckley's later this morning.

Thanks again for the input, folks!

6. smellott

No prob Piamewman . . . . . say, what part of VA are you from? I spent a good part of my younger years in Loudoun County and still have family there. I'm heading down that way tomorrow to see some family.

7. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

O...M...G...(yes, I'm 57, but can still talk like a teenager!) I just spoke with Beckley, and yes, they have the part, in black...for...for...$52.95 EACH!!! I think I'll leave the bikes at home, buy some at the campground, sell them there...it would probably be cheaper.

Guess I'll start searching on Ebay...

We live in Arlington, 4 miles from "ground zero".

8. smellott

Yeah, that's a bit on the pricey side. I found the rack I had seen a few months back on ebay . . . . check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAKIMA-DOUBLE-CROSS-BAR-POP-UP-CAMPER-CROSS-BARS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b29f8414QQitemZ140435751956QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Not bad for $100. You get 4 towers and 2 cross bars.

[​IMG]

I'd consider it since I've been looking for a single bar and 2 towers to give me a 3rd cross bar to carry my canoe along with the bikes.

9. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Wow. Thanks for the link. I don't need another bar (I have 3 from my p/u), but that's a great price.

10. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

I just purchased, from a Yakima dealer, "Landing Pad #6", $35/pair. They work with the tower/crossbar that I already have for my Tundra.

Has anyone here mounted this particular "pad" on an ABS roof? It appears to be very straight-forward, although I'll need to fabricate/purchase a plate for the inside surface, as this only has washers and nuts on the inside. I might also need a broader base for it, as it's rather narrow. I'll know more after I set it on the roof and look at it carefully.

If these don't work, I can always take them back. I might just buy the Ebay item NHeer kindly posted earlier.

11. smellott

I believe the eBay item has the internal backer plates for mounting on an ABS roof.

12. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Yes, you're correct, the "kit" does include a backing plate. I think I'm going to go with the Landing Pad #6.

I just spoke with Yakima on the west coast, and they informed me that the triangle "towers" were never manufactured by Yakima, but by someone else that provided them to Coleman/Fleetwood, which they combined with Yakima parts into a roof-rack kit.

Landing Pad #6 is the correct part to use, but customer service recommended that I provide my own backing plate on the inside of the ceiling, to spread the load.

I'll follow up when I have it all installed.

13. Indy-Sedona

Indy-Sedona 2001 Sedona

I just picked up a new pair from my local Coleman dealer ( last pair he had) for $15 each with the backing plates. The outside A towers were black instead of white. I found a Coleman dealer in PA from a thread in this section who offered to sell me a used set with the brackets for $50 plus shipping & sales tax if I pay by sending a check first. If pymt by CC add 5%. A bit steep for what they are but if you really need them PM me and I will forward the contact info.

14. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

The ebay website above is from canvasreplacements, in Wisconsin. I phoned them directly. He offered me 4 "towers", in black, new, for $30. An 80" crossbar from my Yakima dealer is $38. Then I would need the end caps, hardware, inside plates. It all starts to add up.

I've chosen to order a complete kit, 2 crossbars (80"), 4 "towers", endcaps, inside plates, all the nuts and bolts, for $125, shipping included. (The expired Ebay item for $100 was for the 72" crossbars).

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll try to remember to post after everything is bolted on...probably not for at least 2 weeks, as we're camping again next week.