Yay or Nay?? (This or That)

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by equilibrium, Aug 23, 2013.

1. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

I wish I could start a master list of all the yay or nay questions I have or what would you choose (this or that)...it would be fun to see other people's preferences for all things camping.

So, in the meantime I have a few questions...feel free to add your own yay/nay/this/that here if you've been wondering about something because I would love to hear it!

This or That....
    Nesting Cookware or Regular cookware with handles?
    Non-stick or Cast-iron?
    Camp Kitchen or Standard folding table? (for someone with back issues)
    Camping when it's too hot, or when it's too cold. What would you pick...
    For the non-gun toting campers...who are scared of cougars and bears....airhorn or bear spray? (or other)

Yay or Nay?
    Propane campfire?
    Wind up flashlights? (for kids) Yay or Nay?
    Collapsible organization/supplies? (ie/ garbage can, colander, bowls, bins)?
    Portable picnic table?
    Waterproof mattress covers for bunks? Do we need?

2. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Cookware- nesting, also have some CI [cast iron]
    Currently using 2 folding tables with different food storage bins - old camper had a fully self contained pull out, still missing it [:(]
    Prefer camping cold, can use a fire and wear layers, harder to get cool w/o a/c
    camping in the mid west scariest critters are skunks [:(O]

Real campfire or none at all [CP]
    for the kiddos, whatever is safe for their age is great
    collapsible items are great take what you need, but leave the picnic table for tailgating, CG provide them.
    Waterproof if kiddos aren't housebroken [;)] or if you'll be breaking down in the rain alot......

Be prepared for everyone else's opinions, this is just MHO [2C] [2C]

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This or That....

--I have regular cookware with handles that I nest. They just sit at an angle because of the handles.

Non-stick or Cast-iron?
    --Non-stick. I put some paper towels between them so they don't scratch each other.

--Neither. Too much to haul around and set up. Outdoor cooking is done on the CG picnic table. Since the TrailManor has hard sides I cook inside when weather is bad.

Too hot because I hate the cold BUT hot and dry, not humid. I wouldn't go in hot, humid weather (but we rarely have that around here)..

For the non-gun toting campers...who are scared of cougars and bears....airhorn or bear spray? (or other)
    --Both.

Yay or Nay?

Propane campfire?
    --No!!!! DW would not stand for that.

--No kids. (Well, I have three but the youngest is 32.)

--No.

Portable picnic table?
    --No. Too much to lug around.

--Depends what kind of PUP you have. Not needed with Coleman/Fleetwood because tenting is permanently attached to long bunkends.

5. Kimba

Kimba Ex-PUP, Back to the Tent!

This or That

Cookware - regular with handles please

Non stick every time

Tables - whatever is provided, extra tables are just more to carry around

Too cold - I can handle cold weather with bundles. Hot weather, you can only lose so much. ;)

On bears - Pray? I don't carry either of the other two with me.

Yay or Nay?

Nope....regular fire with wood please!

Can't say I've ever come across a wind-up flashlight.

Don't have collapsible supplies really. Keep the kitchen stuff in one area, food in another, fire stuff in another.....

Again, no extra tables. I always use what is provided, and that's about the extent of it.

No waterproof anything. It never was necessary. Things would eventually dry anyway, if they did get wet at some point.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We have non- stick cookware with removable handles from our backpacking days. The whole set (4 pots with lids) fits into a tiny little space under the sink. We also carry one regular skillet with an unusually short handle that we found at WM ages ago. In the cast iron department, we carry an 8 inch deep DO. If we will be camping with a group, we add a 12 inch regular DO.

No picnic table, but we do have a little 3X3 roll top table and a folding stand for the coleman stove. We don't usually camp in campgrounds, so no table provided.

Campfire? Go real or do without.

I prefer cold weather, especially since the heater switch is within reach of the bed. No AC, but we usually don't need it here. If it's too hot, we just go higher in elevation.

Bears? I suspect that bears associate dispersed campsites with hunters around here. We've never been bothered by bears in a dispersed site...of course, we keep a very clean camp. We did once have a coyote howl almost underneath us at 2 am once. Practically had to peel me off the ceiling.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

One of the things I like about camping in the desert is listening to the packs of coyotes howling at night.

8. cirrus

cirrus New Member

This or That....
    Nesting Cookware or Regular cookware with handles? Handles
    Non-stick or Cast-iron? Both!
    Camp Kitchen or Standard folding table? (for someone with back issues) Folding table
    Camping when it's too hot, or when it's too cold. What would you pick... Too hot only if it is close to a swimming hole
    For the non-gun toting campers...who are scared of cougars and bears....airhorn or bear spray? (or other) bear spray

Yay or Nay?
    Propane campfire? No. Wood only thank you:)
    Wind up flashlights? (for kids) Yay or Nay? Yay
    Collapsible organization/supplies? (ie/ garbage can, colander, bowls, bins)? Yay
    Portable picnic table?Nay most but not all camp sites provide one. See folding table above :)
    Waterproof mattress covers for bunks? Do we need? Only if you bring drinks to bed

9. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Regular

Non-stick or Cast-iron?
    Non-stick

Neither. Always used 1 of 2 dinette tables outside under awning.

Cold. Heat really drags me down. But heat here in NC is usually pretty humid, too.

Don't camp in bear country.

Propane campfire?
    We really enjoy wood fires.

Maybe, but I've never looked at them.

We use a collapsible garbage can, and a laundry bag.

Portable picnic table?
    No.

Waterproof mattress covers for bunks?
    Never did use them.

10. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

I carry only nesting (non stick stuff from backpacking days and a ten inch cat iron that nests in a twelve inch cast iron, don't ask how but handle is busted off twelve inch cast iron so they do truly neat

Non-stick or Cast-iron?

Both, but always fry or pancakes in cast iron

Camp Kitchen or Standard folding table?

Roll up table

Cold

Bear spray is seasoning for my hide... Prefer not to make myself spicier see how people eat spicy chicken sandwiches... Air horn is like inviting the band to dinner not bothering with that one either... If I get eaten I got eaten doing what I love...

Propane campfire?

That's not a campfire... It's a propane fire...

Yes wind it up and wear yourself out even more little rascals

Why not?, I have a camper that collapses!

Portable picnic table?

Um only when backcountry

Only when potty training without a diaper... First nap in camper DD got the mattress DW thought I put diaper on and I thought she put it on... Oh well

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Regular with handles ... take the old from the house to the trailer...
    Non-stick for the most part... some of the pots are "stick" lol
    Aluminum folding table from Cambodian Tire camping section...
    Camping when its hot ...
    Hornet/wasp spray .. more potent then pepper spray and legal here unlike pepper spray...

No way... even during fire bans, would go without before using a propane fire...
    yes, have them for our DS1 and DS2 (or as they are now called DT1 and DT2), they still use them ...
    We have a collapsible bucket as well as laundry basket and garbage can..
    wouldn't bother, every site we have ever been to has a picnic table, why lug one around when they are available...
    For young kids sure use the mattress covers, but outside of that why bother ...

12. froggie

froggie New Member

Cast iron, wood fire, regular flashlights, small folding table, rubber mattress cover for small children who have accidents.
    Don't take too much stuff! It just gets in the way.

13. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Regular stainless steel, non stick can not take the heat from cooking over coals
    I also bring my Dutch oven.

Plastic folding table that adjusts to cabinet height.

Too cold.

bear spray?

Yay or Nay?
    Propane campfire?
    Nay
    Yay
    Yay
    Portable picnic table?
    Nay
    Nay

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Nesting cookware; we've had a couple of sets through the years and splurged on the non-stick Magma set last year. It will last us the rest of our camping lives. It is so nice a friend of ours is thinking she'll buy it for her daughter who has very limited cupboard space in her home kitchen. We do have a couple of non- stick fry pans, which we also use.

I have a bad back, and we found a roll-up aluminum table that adjusts to counter- height. We use it, and a more standard height one much more than we expected. DH was sure we'd end up not using them at all, and end up leaving them at home after one trip, and he really likes the flexibility they add to the camp set up.

We don't have campfires of any type. No room or interest in carrying the propane one.

15. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Nesting Cookware-Yay
    Cast iron Yay
    Camp Kitchen Yay
    To hot Yay
    Bears Both

Propain campfire Nay
    Windup Flashlights Nay
    Organizers Nay
    Picnic Table Nay
    Waterproof Mattress Nay

16. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

This has been fun for me to read all the responses!!! I wish I could edit or add more, haha. A couple things I am wondering what "pests/animals/dangers" do you have in your camping areas? We don't have coyotes but certain places where we live have wolves but not really anything thinks about .

We have annoying bees (wasps), racoons, black bears, and cougars here. MY hubby ran (almost literally) into a black bear on a trail last week while mtn biking early in the morning. Ugh, I would have had a heart attack. I'm more scared of cougars here and kids have gotten attacked even in areas here on Vancouver Island where so many places are not isolated anymore (but still very west coast rainforest).

I *embarassingly* had no idea that non-stick cookware wouldn't stand up to hot heat. I just looked at that Magma cookware. My goodness it's beautiful lol! Seriously. I think I'd want that at home haha.

Sorry, forgot to say "propane" fireplace when there is a fireban on. What if fireban on but it's getting cold? Probably still not worth it.

Anything anyone is wondering about what others pick? :) I saw the thread of coffee...haha. Perc/press/filter/camping coffee :) haha We opt for big plastic milita thing with filter and pour water in it, inside a carafe.

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@equilibrium - yes, if we didn't have a humongous collection of really good cookware at home, I'd seriously consider the Magma for home use. It is heavy, and made in the US. I weighed it at 13#, IIRC.

More of our opinions:

Too hot/too cold - all depends on the trip and if we can hike, sight see, etc. We've camped in a snowstorm at Grand Canyon, but I was able to walk miles on the Rim trails, after DH went below the Rim on his backpack. OTOH, we have changed plans or cut the trip short at couple of times, when things were just miserable cold, windy and we'd run out of less exposed or inside places to go. If it is too hot, I often cut back on my hiking, but don't mind relaxing in camp while DH does his thing, since he has more tolerance to temperature extremes than I do. We use the PUGs to help in hot and cold weather, but have no a/c; I'm getting spoiled by having a furnace, which makes a world of difference for me to sleep when it is cold.
    We'll also put up with hotter and/or more humid campsites when we are on the road, since we sometimes have to go through those conditions to get to nicer climates.

Bears and cougars - we try to keep a clean camp. So far, no bear spray, though DH is considering it the next time he backpacks in the the Wind River region in Wyoming. I use trekking poles when hiking, which are supposed to be good to make one look larger. Since we have both bears and cougars in the mountains just east of us, there is a possibility of encountering either on some of our Open Space trails. So far, it has not happened to me. One of my friends had a bear cross the path in front of her a couple of months ago, while she was jogging along one of the major streets in town. A couple of years ago, a cougar that got treed in a neighborhood a mile or so away had to have crossed at least two of the Open Space trails we routinely hike (and bike, for DH). So, I try to be cautious but not freaked out.
    Besides the bear and cougars, we camp in areas with coyotes (again, they live less than a mile away at home), bobcats (ditto), racoons, skunks, porcupines, mice of various sorts, ground squirrels, other squirrels, ravens, etc. Not that they are to be scared of, but all are good reasons to keep a clean camp. We have watched ravens literally pick apart a foam cooler and inspect, test, toss away and finally take some food with them.

We've tried some of the collapsible stuff, have not found anything that worked well for us.

While we try to keep things simple, there are a few items that make things more comfortable or even make it possible to camp, in my case. The two roll-up aluminum tables are an example, we added them last year. After years of never knowing if I was going to tweak my back with the campsite picnic table, it is a relief to know we always have our with us. Seating is still an issue, but the Lafuma chair I got this year is a big help - DH, however, can sit just about anywhere and not have a problem.
    Each family gradually finds out the things that work best for them. While most of our equipment is long-established, even though we're on the second or third of some items (like the nesting cookware), we still tweak things every year, as our needs change, and new equipment comes out. Over our close to a quarter century of camping, things such as the LED flashlights and lanterns have been a big improvement over what we started with.

18. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

First of all cast-iron IS non-stick; you need to learn how to use it, its worth the effort.
    Propane is great when weather is not best and here in Arizona we have lots of fire restrictions so sometimes its propane or cold. But always a 'real' fire when possible but its still nice to cook over propane it keeps the cast iron clean and easy to clean.
    Any kid older than 5 should have a STRONG grasp on how to build a fire therefore understanding how to NOT start a fire accidentally; and kid over 7 should be able to build a fire and boil a pot of water as fast as any adult
    I buy my cast iron at Goodwill & garage sales; keep looking you'll find some. if its in bad shape just throw it in a big fire until it almost glows then cool SLOWLY then fry up some bacon it in. never use soap; sand or gravel will clean it
    Same with tea kettle and coffee percolator get a teakettle that whistles great for keeping hot water all day long and I use mine for a kitchen timer; I start the percolator and the tea kettle at the same time; after the tea kettle whistles the coffee perks for about three minutes longer.

Welcome, man, I got to cut back on the coffee!!