yeehaw day 1 Vaca excitement on hwy

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MabelJ, Aug 7, 2016.

1. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Just done changing tire [MOD] on pup on the T-Can 90 minutes from Québec city! Only 1/3 of our driving today. This after last week coming home from weekend with pup near Niagara and had to change tire on TV midway home.

Hope tomorrow goes better for us ?!

2. bigdad

bigdad Well-Known Member

Yep its no fun changing a tire on the side of the Hwy I did one time at 5:30am in the dark. out side of Lexington Ky I-64 and it was the tire next to the travel lane.

3. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Yikes bigdad! Nerve-wracking eh? Theres that to be thankful for ours was passenger side so standing in the ditch was a bit safer. 3 more hrs to drive tonight and we didn't make it to store before closing to get another spare ... or 3. THat will be our first way point in the morning.

4. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

Was in the same boat on Hwy 2 just outside of St. Ignace, MI. I'm a deputy sheriff, so I'm used to being out on the side of the road. There is so much in distraction in vehicle's now days, it can get pretty scary.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Next time you have to change a flat on your pup or vehicle on the side of the highway and you don't have any roadside assistance, call the local State/Provincial Police, explain to them what you need to do and you are concerned about the traffic... They would rather send an officer and a car out to help, rather then send it out to assist scraping you off the road..

6. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I'll make sparks going down the highway on a flat tire to get to the next exit before I ever change a tire out there. Yeah, I might damage a rim, maybe worse... But I'd rather do that than be killed by someone who is texting, or searching for the French fry they just dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Rest of the trip was not without some minor snafus, but the 'final destination' was well worth it. I'm uploading pics !

Had booked the Saturday night at Les Jardins de la République Provincial Park - Edmundston NB - this is about the halfway mark between Ottawa to our corner of PEI. Come Friday we decided we were too knackered to make our departure early Saturday morning; needed another day and would head out Sunday and stay Sunday night instead. Too bad the PP reservation system doesn't consider it a 'change' and we end up paying for both nights. Next time we plan to NOT book in advance.

After the tire episode (and no spare now), we decided to NOT travel the Plaster Rock route, and kept to the main highway 2. Renewed our CAA which had lapsed weeks before by phone while en route for peace of mind. Made it to PEI without incident and brought the rim in locally for a new tire on Monday.

We camped on the folks property - I was dreading the wind, cold, mice, and beetles - only the wind was a concern, gave the trailer a good shakedown. Loose screws galore! Temps were fine - I only turned on a portable fan/heater upon waking 2 mornings. No critters.

A view of the ocean, only thing that could have made it better would to have been close enough to hear the waves. I did take an outdoor shower one day without curtain... that was the morning the lobster boats mysteriously came closer to shore LOL.

The first evening we partied in the popup. It was so windy, SIL thought the camper was moving and would fall over the cape! By the end of the trip, we did sustain some damage to the small doorside wall. Go figure... we had put in some missing screws in the loose curtain track there before leaving too. The wind died down to near nil one day, and we actually put up the awning for a day and a half [ that's when the PICS were taken ] . Then a rainstorm and more wind made us roll the awning back up.... wet ...
    and so I am off to unroll and clean it now.

Thanks for listening!

Attached Files: