Yellow Glue on 2003 Bayside

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by LennyO, Mar 20, 2011.

1. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Was looking at a PUP today and all around the window areas, there is what appears to be yellowed glue from where the fabric seems to have separated from the splines. The dealer said that is common with older popups. I disagree. Has anyone else observed something like this? Is it repairable, or should I not walk, but run away from this potential purchase?

2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Let's see, what could this mean?

all around the window area
    yellowed glue
    fabric separates from the splines

spline
    noun, verb, splined, splin·ing.
    –noun
    1.a long, narrow, thin strip of wood, metal, etc.; slat.
    2.a long, flexible strip of wood or the like, used in drawing curves.
    3.Machinery .
    a.any of a series of uniformly spaced ridges on a shaft, parallel to its axis and fitting inside corresponding grooves in the hub of a gear, etc., to transmit torque.

In our camper the windows are Sewed into the fabric. There is no glue.

Sounds like there was a problem that someone tried to fix with polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue), and they made a mess of things.

What is common about this in older campers is only that people try to do home-made fixes. This particular fix is not common in and of itself. Just the fact that owners try fixes, that sometimes become a big mess - that's common. Nothing else.

That's my guess.

Anybody else have an idea of what this might be?

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Anytime I run across a "mess" of some kind of gunk on or around the canvas, I suspect a water leak and a patch job.

4. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

If you dont feel a solid yes on the pup, then walk and find another. There are way too many out there to be stuck on one. When spring time starts to roll around, more and more will be available for sale. It happens every year

It sounds like your gut is telling you something...listen to it

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

First, I don't understand what you mean by splines. What splines? Are you talking about where the canvas is sewn to the molding that attaches it to the roof?

Without seeing what you're talking about, I'd say ditto on the possible patch job. It could also be some old seam sealer used to seal the stitch holes that came from sewing the canvas to the window material. (You only find this yellow gunk in the areas around the windows, right?)

It may or may not be a concern, but I agree with the others. If your gut is telling you to walk away, I'd walk away. There are other pups out there.

Then again, you might ask the dealer if he'd let you take some pics to a canvas/awning repair shop to get their opinion, then reduce the price of the camper by however much they want for the repair. He'll probably say no, hoping someone who doesn't pay as close attention as you did will come along later, but it's just a thought.

6. Snotsucker

Snotsucker 2009 Rockwood HW

We have an '03 Bayside and no such issue. Personally, I'd keep looking around. Good luck!

7. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Just bought a fantastic 2007 Bayside! No problems with this one! Thank to everyone for chiming in. What I meant by spline is it looks like the rubber strip used to hold a screen in a window. That is called spline.

8. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ok, that explains my confusion - I've never seen a pup with spline holding screen in. Every one I've seen the screen was sewn to the canvas...