Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by Natureangel, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I’m hoping to go next summer and I am clueless as to where to go. I’d like to reserve, have electric and if possible a site on water or with a view.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

There are no sites in Yellowstone that have electricity except Fishing Bridge. That campground was closed this year for improvements and when it is open, is only for hard sided units. There are campgrounds available outside the Park that have hookups (West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody) but Yellowstone is a big Park and you will be driving a lot. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Grand Teton has hookups in Colter Bay and Headwaters Campgounds. https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm

I highly recommend staying inside the Parks if you can. You can avoid some of the traffic by getting up early and being back at your campsite by mid-afternoon. I've stayed at Grant Village multiple times and have enjoyed it. You are close to the lake and have showers, restrooms, etc. close by. Start planning now as campgrounds book early in these Parks.

Natureangel likes this.
  3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Please search for and read the multiple previous threads on this topic.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

The large Apgar Campground in (West) Glacier is first come-first serve. IF you wanted to visit Glacier, that is.

5. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We stayed at Yellowstone Valley Inn CG near Cody in the Wapiti Valley. It had hookups and was a very nice place. But it caused us to drive A LOT just to see the park.
    If I did it over, I would try to stay in the park. It would have been worth the pack up and un pack to move once or twice. I think Canyon takes reservations.
    * Don’t miss the Beartooth Highway. It’s worth it.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Yes, Canyon takes reservations. We stayed there 5 nights in August this year. Heavily wooded, poor for PV panels

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Grant and Madison all take reservations. All are dry camping. There are several other campgrounds in the park that are first-come-first-serve.

We stayed in West Yellowstone, MT when we went. Our campground was five minutes from the West Entrance station, but about 25 miles to Madison Junction. Didn't matter though. It's a really nice drive that we didn't tire of.

No matter where you stay, if you want to see the park you're going to log some miles.

As crackerJack said, don't miss the Beartooth Highway. It's incredible.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  8. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I did before I posted, nothing that is reservable and electric is mentioned in the previous Wyoming posts.

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

There are at least 10 specific YS threads that go through all the camping options with recommendations. Can be found by searching for Yellowstone. In addition, the NPS has a pretty good site on the park and there is a whole section on camping.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

11. Anthony Hitchings

and there is an official NPS Yellowstone App (at least for an iPhone)