Yellowstone dates set!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Sumoman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

We will be at the grant campground

2. californiasgirl

californiasgirl New Member

Madison

Would be so cool to have a mini rally in Yellowstone!

3. kmeece

kmeece New Member

PLEASE post the campsite locations you are staying at on your trip. Our family went to Niagara and New York State Parks. We had a great time and it really helped having insight from others that camped there before us.

We are planning a 3 week trip to Yellowstone for June of 2014. We would love any helpful information that you could pass along. We want to make stops along the way and break up the drive time.

Thanks!

4. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Where a you driving from, that would help us tell you what's around us.

As for Yellowstone you make reservations but not to specific sites. You get those when you get there. My PUP is long enough that there is only a few sites that it will fit so its been narrowed down a bit. Never been but will being able to tell you about the Madison Camp Ground when I get back. Heard they are all nice.

5. californiasgirl

We're here!!!

6. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

We leave next week! How is it? What's the weather like right now day and night? That would help us plan a bit more.. Already thinking it will be chilly at night.. Maybe in the high 40's at the lowest.

7. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Sounds great. I just booked my reservations for next summer. Although we are not taking the pup and we are staying in one of the cabins at old faithful, I can't wait.

8. coach2006

coach2006 Member

We returned from Yellowstone on the 11th our last day in the park was on the 8th, we spent 5 days in the park. We camped at Canyon for 3 nights and Grant for 2 nights. Canyon was my favorite of the 2 as the shower facilities were a bit nicer. Make sure you keep all food and smell goods in the tow vehicle and locked. We did not have any visitors but a few weeks prior to our visit there was one.

If it rains it will get a bit chilly so make sure you have some warm clothes that you can layer off as it warms up. The days that it did not rain we saw low 80's and low 60's when it rained it was low 60's and low 40's.

Be very careful on some of the trails as the buffalo roam free and will be a bit to close for comfort at times, we had a very close encounter near the mud volcano. Plan plenty of time between locations as it will take a while to get from one spot to another,

Great animal viewing road is the 6 mile Black deer Plato road that is a 1 lane 1 way road in the Lamar Valley area, we saw a grizzly on this road along with a buffalo and prong horn.

Gas prices in the park were over $4 just FYI.

We ate dinner at the Lake lodge and it was one of the best meals I have ever had, if you don't feel like cooking go see them.

If you are a picture taker bring more memory then you think, I normally don't take a lot of pictures but I ended up with over 1400 for the trip, we also took a all weather video camera and have about 2 hours of video.

If you have any specific questions email or IM me and I will do my best to answer.

Traffic alert if your going thru St Louis and Kansas city get ready for construction.

9. californiasgirl

Rainy on and off. Otherwise mid 70's. we've been in Madison, but moving up to the Lamar Valley tomorrow (Slough, Pebble?) as we are going to the chuck wagon shindig tomorrow night. Great fun swimming in Firehole River today. Anyone else here?

10. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Awesome. Thanks all. I have seen fire hole pics, fun. Hopefully the weather pattern calms a bit, I have not looked at the long term forecast yet.

Be safe

11. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

So we made the first trip over 3 days and 1700 miles. We arrived last night into Cody, stopped over at the Yellowstone Valley Inn CG West of Cody. Nice place, level lot for RVs and my kids will try out the breakfast today. Final push into the park this morning, Madison Campground if anyone's in the park, yellow Fleetwood E3 towed by a Black Bed-liner covered Disco.

The TV was up for the job, poor thing did not like the towing of 4000 pounds through the mountains though it did it well. Traffic was fine, we cut across NE and into WY on 20, and over to 26. My family made up a song about corn.

We had dinner at Irma's hotel in Cody, was slightly pricey but good food. Stopped in to purchase food for Yellowstone and headed back to sleep. Currently waiting for the kids to get up so we can get the ball rolling... Cannot take the camper down with them inside it

Funny thing, only witnessed 4 other pups on the 1700 miles here! A few here in the CG though. We are heading into the park here in a few hours.

12. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

It sounds like you're off to a good start!
    Enjoy Yellowstone. I could have stayed there for the whole two weeks!

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Yellowstone was great! Think the kids enjoyed the river at the Madison CG more than the rest of the park

I will post pics later this week after we get back.. Driving now, 1700 miles!

14. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

That's great! I did 3,300 miles total... Already planning next year's trip!

15. Kingster67

Kingster67 New Member

Glad you had a great trip to Yellowstone. I've camped in Madison and Bridge Bay CG's and love both of them. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places. Hoping to get there next summer and I will definitely be there in 2 years when visiting home for my HS reunion. Already looking forward to it! [:D]