Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Natureangel, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Hi campers,
    I’m thinking of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for next year but I’d like electric at my site! Thanks for any advice;)
    Angelique

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You're going to have to stay outside the park. The only electric hookups are at Fishing Bridge and they don't allow Pups.

We stayed at Ponderosa Campground in Cody, WY (about 50 miles east of the East Entrance) for a couple days then moved to West Yellowstone, MT (about 50 feet from the West Entrance). The campground we stayed at in West Yellowstone has closed but there are several others.

There is a wonderful USFS campground called Wapiti about half way between Cody and the East Entrance. I believe there are a few electric sites.

No matter where you stay you're going to log some miles on the car/truck as Yellowstone is a big park. But it's worth it.

PopUpSteve and Natureangel like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

There are some electric sites available in Grand Teton NP. Colter Bay has 13 sites, Gros Ventre has 36 and there may be others. https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camping.htm#CP_JUMP_1831980

Yellowstone on the other hand, only has electricity at Fishing Bridge and was mentioned above, doesn't allow popups. Wapiti does have electric but you are a distance from many areas of the park. It is a beautiful place to camp though.

There are campgrounds in West Yellowstone and Gardiner that do have electric. I highly recommend staying inside the park if at all possible. Traffic and crowds can get bad unless you are out early in the morning which can be hard to do unless you stay inside the park.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We camped 6 nights at Madison Campground earlier this month. I picked up a solar "suitcase" and we had no issues with power for that time, using lights, fans, some heat at night, water pump, and charging numerous devices like phones and cameras daily. Madison is a wonderful campground centrally located between Old Faithful and the Norris geyser basin.

As noted, Fishing Bridge is the only electric sites within Yellowstone, and they don't allow popups. Also it's very much an "RV Parking Lot" whereas Madison is a nice wooded campground.

I think you'd be doing yourself a big disservice by limiting yourself to an electric site IMHO.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What are your requirements for electric?

6. Natureangel

I just haven’t boon docked yet, maybe I’ll do a weekend without electric and see how it goes. I don’t have a battery on my pup.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Guaranteed, you'll want a battery if you plan on doing any dry camping. For dry camping any more than a weekend you'll also need some means of restoring battery charge - solar and/or generator, but keep in mind a lot of campgrounds do limit genset use.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  8. Natureangel

Ugh

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. Natureangel

I’ve looked but can’t find wires for a battery

11. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

We are going to yellowstone/grand teton then glacier this September.
    We are stying outside in gardiner then west yellowstone. Flagg ranch for grand tetons then west glacier KOA for glacier. They all have electric. Wanted it to run two space heaters in the pup

Natureangel likes this.
  12. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Really, what are your requirements for electric? You can recharge phones in the tow vehicle, and use lamps instead of lights in the pup. Stove will run on propane. You can get a Buddy Heater instead of running your onboard heater, which needs power for the fan.

If you think of your pup -- a tent trailer -- as a tent, you don't really need power at all.

Natureangel likes this.
  13. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I have a 1.5 yr old so wanted to make sure we had reliable heat and the convenience of showers in the campground. Was going to stay in madison in yellowstone and do the buddy heater, but this is our first major trip and i have five kids under 11 so what to keep the trip a positive experience. Mostly the showers being accessible. And not having to deal with moisture from the buddy heaters in the pup

14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Regarding your comment you don't have a battery, I just did a search on your specs online and see the 1940LTD POPUP trailer has Electric brakes included in their specs... In my licensed state here in VA this trailer with electric brakes would be required to have a BATTERY on the trailer to operate the electric brakes in the event of trailer being disconnected from your tow vehicle going down DOT roadways... This is required by law... Two things come to mind for not having this safety feature installed is of course a runaway trailer may cause loss of life... Secondly it cause damage to the roadway or other road traffic and your insurance won't cover it if it is known you did not have the emergency brakes hooked up...

Just passing along just in case you may not be aware of having electric brakes on your trailer... My setup here is a break-away cable which will engage the trailer 12V battery to apply full electric brakes if the cable plunger is pulled away from the trailer... Here in Virginia this is a DOT inspection thing as well...

Just something to check on with your local DMV Inspection station - Your trailer weight may not require Trailer brakes...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  15. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Member

Just stayed in Madison Campground last weekend with our new to us popup. I have 2 group 24 batteries and had no issues for 3 nights running the heater lightly, water pump, electric winch, and led lights. I toyed with getting a quiet generator to top off batteries but decided to see if we could make it and we had no issues.

Just FYI- Madison does not have showers, just cold running water. You will have to stay at Grant or Canyon to get in camp showers. Location and scenery wise, Madison was awesome!

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Back before we changed to LED lights, we would get, on average, 5-6 days without a charge. (This was using the lights, water pump and an inverter to power small electronics/chargers.) In fact, when we were at Yellowstone in 2016, our battery lasted 6 days. We re-charged enough to get through the 8 days by running a cable from the truck to the battery and letting the truck simply idle for a couple of hours, in total. One battery, deep cycle marine.

Now that we have LEDs, we can easily go for a week-10 days.

17. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Natureangel, what are you planning on using the electric for?

18. Natureangel

I have led lights, water pump, heater that’s about it.

19. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

LEDs use next to no power. The water pump is on-demand, so that's also pretty much negligible in the power department. I'd venture to say that if you don't keep the heater cranked to max 24/7, you'd be able to get way more than a weekend on one battery charge. But probably best to actually get it set up and test it out. :)

20. Natureangel

But I don’t have a battery