Yellowstone / Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Got back from a 9 day trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

I took the boards advice and stayed at Gros Ventre campground in Grand Teton NP the first night. They seemed pretty open considering that we got there about 5:00PM. We had a small site near the river but also across from the bathrooms (good and bad points). The site was small enough that I blocked the one-way road for sometime while unhooking the PUP. I had space next to it to park the tow vehicle. The DW and I took a drive just outside the campground that evening and saw several moose in the river area. The next morning, there was a large heard of bison just across the road from the campground.

The remainder of our trip was in Yellowstone, staying in the Grant Village site. We were in Loop G. A nice site but it was a pull through going the wrong direction. We did a u-turn in front of our site and pulled in the "proper" direction. Across from the bathrooms again, in site G185.

Very nice campground with tall pines and reasonably sized sites. It poured, and I mean poured, on Monday night. We had a river going through our site, the fire pit, etc. Our PUP kept us nice and dry :) Most of the tent campers were not so fortunate. I saw several tents that had literally 6 inches of water in them as they put them in the wrong spot. One couple just packed up and left as everything they had was soaked.

I'm glad we had reservations as every campground in the park was full. We never saw a vacant spot in either the Xanterra ran spots or the NPS campgrounds. It was nice staying in the park. Even though a lot of driving is involved, it is sure nice to be close to your PUP and be able to cook dinner at a reasonable time.

A successful trip for viewing wildlife with many elk, several wolf and grizzly sightings in Hayden Valley. A highlight of the trip was swimming in the Firehole river. A ton of fun and a great way to cool off after a long several days of hiking.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Sounds like it was super successful. You were lucky to see wolf and grizz. I've tried in the Hayden Valley a few times but no luck so far.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

There was a bison carcass about 250 yards East of the road. Both grizzly bear and wolves were feeding on it. Pictures will follow later after unpacking, cleaning, etc...

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Site at Gros Ventre:

[​IMG]

Sunset from just outside Gros Ventre:

[​IMG]

Site at Grant Village:

[​IMG]

Sunset at Yellowstone Lake - near campsite:

[​IMG]

Small grizzly in Hayden Valley:
    [​IMG]

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We stayed at Grant Village as well back in 2010. Yes lots of driving in Yellowstone considering the size of it! We went up to Hayden Valley as well up to the North Entrance and saw nothing! But we did see lots and lots of Bison!

6. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Great pictures! Definitely a place I want to visit. Thanks for sharing.

7. lmfishon505

lmfishon505 New Member

Wow, those pics are first class. Yellowstone lake and the sunset pics are magazine worthy. Thanks for sharing.

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Awesome pictures! I love it there!!

9. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in the US.

10. marrobinson

marrobinson New Member

You make me want to go again! Beautiful pics!

11. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping New Member

beautiful pictures. We hoped to see a wolf, but no luck. We did see black and brown bears though!