Yellowstone & GTNP opening set

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gladecreekwy, May 13, 2020.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Yellowstone and GTNP will be opening on Monday , May 18th. Wyoming entrances only.

PopUpSteve and kitphantom like this.
  2. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

As much as I hate doing it, i'm postponing my trip west this year. Again.. and i;m not too happy about it. Loss of wages has been detrimental to my trip fund, i'd rather wait to replenish vs attempting on a small tight budget.

I'm looking at sticking around for this season and attempting again next year.

Was looking forward to it, decision wasn't easy. I could probably swing a shorter two weeks or so but I want to do it right as it's probably my last.

So, keep those pics coming of your outings please!

Rik Peery, Orchid, SongCamper and 2 others like this.
  3. gladecreekwy

As much as I hate to say it I think it’s a good decision. I’m not going to get into the debate that’s raging on this page and here in JH but people are already coming into town and most are refusing to wear masks and follow the simple rules. Believe me anyone acting the fool out here this summer is going to get a nasty response from the locals. It’s not going to be the quiet summer we thought might happen a few months ago. Just reading some of the ridiculous comments on this site gives me no hope things will go smoothly here. Some folks just don’t give a damn about anyone but themselves. Yellowstone, Grand Teton and wyoming will be here next year. Hopefully we can get together for a couple of beers next summer. Stay safe

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We're still hoping to do our trip in August, depending on how things are looking as time goes on. We're not going to be stupid about it. I was all set to make alternate plans for our trip, if we could figure something else, but Courtenay wants to stick with them if we can. (His alternate plan is to pick a wilderness area closer to home, head off solo for a few days, and save the rest of the vacation time for later.) We canceled during the eclipse because of crowds and wildfires, so this is already the make-up trip to the area.
    If we have to wear masks and maintain social distancing, we can do that. It has been suggested we wear masks for quite a while here in NM, beginning Sat. it will be required when in public spaces (unless exercising, drinking, or eating - though gyms and eat in dining is still closed).

kcsa75 and gladecreekwy like this.
  5. gladecreekwy

I certainly think folks can travel safely , especially folks in pups and campers. We are planning to camp Memorial Day weekend in S Wyoming. If I had August plans i wouldn't automatically cancel but I would know not expect things to be anything close to normal. Unfortunately a lot of folks think it will or it should and we are already seeing them. We get around 3 million visitors to our town of ten thousand every year so, yeah Im nervous about my families safety and am taking this very seriously. . That being said if you'er heading this way Id be happy to answer any questions about the area.

PaThacker, kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  6. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’m in red zone of PA with commuters going in and out of nYC and Philadelphia. The issue is we will never get out of this mess. I have zero plans to camp. Plans next winter is $1,000 in ski passes. Buy now and lose a grand if the covid condition continue next fall/winter. Economic issues are going to destroy the area if shutdowns continue through the winter.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We figure our trips this year will not be quite the usual, and we're open to changing plans as necessary. We tend not to do many of the activities where crowds are, and will rethink the ones we do. At South Rim of Grand Canyon, for example, I have reservations in July, in Trailer Village. I usually utilize the shuttle a good deal, as I section walk the Rim Trail. I already go through a lot of hand sanitizer with that, the hand rails have made me squeamish for years. This time, if the trip happens, if the shuttles are running, I bet I'll ride them very little, or not at all, which will change how I explore the area.
    For our August trip, we have several days camped at Fremont Lake. Courtenay plans an overnight backpack, and I was set to do things like visit Pinedale; if nothing else, there's a quilt shop there (we did enjoy the museum last time). Now, unless they are happy to welcome visitors, I'll probably hang around the campground while Courtenay is off in the back country.
    We had planned to restock on groceries in Jackson, but again, if they are discouraging visitor shopping, we'll settle for gas, and take extra food from home. It will cut down on our fresh supplies and make packing more difficult. We're spoiled now, because we can fit a good 8-9 days of food in the fridge, freezer, small cupboard, and 4 Really Useful boxes (3 17 liter and 1 11 liter). Once upon a time, when we ate a lot of canned meat and packaged pasta and rice mixes, we could take most of our food for 3 week trips.

8. gladecreekwy

I believe by August the folks in Pinedale would be happy to see you. There’s a decent size grocery there as well. Probably cheaper than the jackson stores

kitphantom likes this.
  9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Rik Peery, Orchid, MrWright and 3 others like this.
  10. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

We have been planning a July 1st trip to Rocky Mountain National Park for the last 12 months but now they are threatening a reservation system cut capacity down to 60%. They are strongly discouraging cross-country travelers.

Our Mom & Pop campground reservations are still good....so we are trying to come up with a backup plan if we can't get into RMNP. So frustrating...

11. Axel

Axel Member

We were supposed to arrive July 4 for a total of three weeks moving between Grant CG, Teton (probably FCFS at Colter Bay) and Canyon CG. I haven't quite worked up the will to cancel.

We had a hope that maybe the park would be emptier, but gladecreekwy's comments seem to confirm the pictures I've seen of crowds without a lot of distance or mask wearing. Yellowstone was pretty crowded for me last visit except on longer hikes, I can't imagine trying to keep distance on the boardwalks.

Xanterra claims they will be open, but they specifically are only opening cabins and lodges with private baths. I'm not able to reconcile a "no shared bathrooms for lodges" policy with "campgrounds will be open" in a way that sounds reasonable.

Thanks gladecreekwy, I appreciate the report on the ground. Seems I'll be cancelling... Or at least I will as soon as I get over the disappointment.

12. alminLA

alminLA New Member

We had 2 sets of reservations for Moraine in RMNP this summer. We received an email last week that our June 23rd dates have been cancelled. Haven't heard about our July dates yet.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Axel, not sure how they plan to handle the bathroom thing, ideally just frequent cleanings. You can see both YS and Tetons fully without being exposed to large crowds. Get to places early, like 6 am early and leave those popular areas by 11 am. Spend the middle of the day on a hike off the beaten trail or nap at the campsite. Then from 5 on til dark visit sites again. If you are willing and able to do that, you will miss most all of the crowds. It is a unique visit and experience, so it would be a shame to cancel.

Natureangel and kitphantom like this.
  14. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Not to hijack the post but what are your must see and do for Yellowstone and Tetons? Headed there in July/August.

15. gladecreekwy

Honesty when I take people to Yellowstone for the first time we usually hit all the popular spots. Old faithful, the mayor geyser basins etc. There is a reason why they are crowded. Don’t miss dragons mouth spring ( my favorite thermal feature) Grand Prismatic spring is awesome just make sure you hike the short trail to the viewpoint. In GTNP after seeing the mountains from the road and many pullouts I’d hike Death Canyon. There’s just so much to see and the parks are so vast don’t try to bite off too much. If you’re in a hurry you won’t enjoy it because there’s just no way to move around quickly. I’m sure other folks will post their favorite spots.

Pommom70 and kitphantom like this.
  16. Axel

Axel Member

Given the news stories about persistence of droplets in the air, I'm skeptical they can clean it that well. In any case, if that's their plan it should apply to lodge closings too, which is why it's tough to reconcile.

This isn't our first YS trip, and we intentionally scheduled for a much longer trip to see more at a relaxed pace. "6 am early" doesn't really meet my "relaxing vacation" standard [:D]. In any case, the family decision was that spending time worrying about avoiding those breaking distancing rules also broke the "relaxed" standard. Especially when we're 2+ days from home.

Its a shame to cancel, but I take gladecreekwy's comment to heart:
    Anyone know when the booking window opens for July 2021?