Yellowstone in September

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Mtlangst, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

i am thinking of taking a trip for a week to yellowstone in mid september. The campground in the park has no elec so my question is will a heater running off propane keep it warm enough? Or should we stay in rv park outside the park with elec hookup. We have an almost 2 yr old so want to be warm.

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

The heater keeps mine warm enough. The problem is the heater fan draws the battery down pretty quickly. The Mr. Buddy does a good job, but can get it too warm. Like any stand alone heater you have to keep the little one away enough he doesn't burn himself.

3. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I guess if we opened our roof vent for ventilation and had a co monitor in the camper a mr buddy would work.

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

On high it will make you sweat with the outdoor temp in the 20's in my pup. On low, the propane will last longer and still keep mine comfortable. Little kids lose a lot more heat from their heads, so a good knitted hat really helps. Reflectix and PUG's are a big help too.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That a good questions. If it above 10 degrees you will be okay. That time of the year you can have very cold weather at YSNP. Check weather history for YSNP

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yellowstone should be beautiful that time of year with all the Autumn colors. Good idea with using a Mr Heater. Just make sure you vent properly.

The camper's heater will kill your batteries unless you have at least a 100w solar to charge. That time of year and depending on the tree cover of your campsite, you may not get a full recharge but it will stretch your time by a day or two.

kitphantom likes this.
  7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

We were there the week after Labor Day in 2016. We got several inches of snow at the campground (Grant) over the course of about a day and a half, but other than that, it really didn't get all that cold. We used the indoor stove to heat up some water on one or two nights just to get the chill out of the camper, but honestly, between the two of us and the dogs, it was fine.

I'd second the suggestion of the Mr. Buddy, so long as it's monitored.

The great part about going there in September is that the crowds die down drastically after Labor Day. Hope you have a great trip!

8. JLE

JLE Member

and make sure you have reservations, as it's busy all the time!

9. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I hav reservations for madison. But was t able to get first two days. I have 4 right now. Might wait to see if anything opens up or stay outside in the town on the north side for two days to check out lamar valley etc...

10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

In case you were unaware, you can reserve a conventional pull-through site when you have a pop up. Last I looked, the reservation page on the website is a bit unclear on this (the way it is/was worded can make it seem like one needs one of the "long" sites). Don't know if this will help you with your reservations, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

11. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Just took a look at the reservation page, and of course it's still as unclear as it was 3 years ago... *sigh*

If you have a pop-up, you'll be fine with one of the "20 foot tent/RV" spaces, which would be a pull through. For reference, when we stayed at Grant, we were in one of these spots with our 12 foot box PUP (extended to 24 feet open) and our SUV size truck. In fact, we could probably have fit another good size car on the other side of the "U". None of it was hanging over off the pavement or coming close to impeding traffic in any way.

The only concern is being able to make the turn into the "U", but if we could do it with our rig, I'd venture to say that anyone with a PUP could.

We also saw lots of small TTs and other PUPs in these spots. They *really* need to clarify this on the website!

12. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Are you referring to these sites? Below is the description.

capacity for Madison Campground Large Tent and/or RV 20-foot Total or Less Site:

• RV/Vehicle combination, 20' total length or less and either
    • One large tent, 12'x12' or smaller ortwo small tents, each 8'x8' or smaller
    • This is a single-width site. The totalextended length of all vehicles and towed/towing equipment cannot exceed 20 feet

13. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Yup, that's exactly what I'm referring to.

From looking at the map, I'd venture to say that these are the pull-through sites, which, yes, would accommodate a pop-up just fine. I mean, unless one is speaking about a truck top camper, there are very few "RV/vehicle combinations" that are going to be less than 20 feet long regardless.

14. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

My van is 20.6’ and camper is 20.17’ i guess i will try and call them tomm.

15. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Yea i was looking on google maps. There are some big rvs parked in some of those pull throughs

16. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Is the camper a PUP, or other type?

17. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Pup

18. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

A girl i talked with said they will deduct 2’ to the length if it is. A pup

19. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

You should be fine. I'm sure they'll be happy to let you know if you call them up. :)

20. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

That's just silly.

I'd be asking her how many RV/vehicle combinations she's seen that are less than 20 feet. LOL