Yellowstone newbie questions - 30 foot campsites?

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by idlemoments, Jun 9, 2012.

1. idlemoments

idlemoments New Member

Wondering if anyone can help on actual size of a camping spot I need to reserve for a popup at Yellowstone sites? I have a Jayco Eagle 10 foot box w/queen on one side and a twin on the other pulled by probably a 15 ft Yukon. I have two nights reserved now in Canyon in a 30 foot or less. All 40 foot sites are all reserved at this point. Is there any wiggle room on these sites? Can't imagine that 40 foot sites would be only ones that could accommodate basically a medium sized popup? Also, have plans to move on to another non-reservable site we can nab later, think this will be hard to do around June 24? This will be our first camping trip to Yellowstone, although was there 20 years ago on a day trip.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I think you will be fine on the 30' site. I disregard the bed size, because that can hang over the end of the site, unless there's a tree or something right there. So, your total length is approx. 29' (10' box, 4 ' tongue, and 15' TV). Sounds like you can just about stay hitched up, assuming the twin bed is over the tongue. There is also the possibility you could unhitch and park side by side, or turn the Pup sideways. There's a lot of possibilities, and you are pretty close in overall length, so I am sure you can figure something out.

Greg

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Some of the sites are very tight precisely because of trees, rocks, etc. If they say 30', they generally mean it. We camped at Bridge Bay once (horrible campground, btw, like a crowded field) and a person with a camper had squeezed to the back of the adjacent site, and his truck still stuck out into the road. The campground host came by after a while and told him to move the truck. He evidently laughed it off, and a ranger came by later and ticketed him. That night he had relocated his truck to the overflow lot. Fortunately, the Yellowstone campgrounds do have some parking areas for vehicles that won't fit in with the campers. Use them if you have to and it will all work out.

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Call the park service and ask about it. Most? of the time, 30 feet is for the length of a TT with a TV parked in front of it or a 30 foot MH with with a toad parked there also.

This is one of the reasons that we bought a 29 foot TT [:D]

5. idlemoments

idlemoments New Member

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

When you say 30' site, I'm assuming that's the stated vehicle length on the reservation site. You should be fine with that...the actual pads will be bigger and a 30' site should be able to accomodate a 30' camping vehicle plus the TV.

In RE to moving to another reservable site....probably would be difficult in June. There are only a couple of reservable CGs in Yellowstone and I would imagine they would be pretty full up. That said, you could move to a non-reservable site very easily; there are several non-reservable CGs in Yellowstone. Unlike SPs and other CGs, NPs tend to have a lot of daily turnover regardless of whether it's a weekend or not...you could easily move to one of these so long as you do it in the morning. You should be fine anytime before noon, but personally I wouldn't push it and I'd be at whatever CG you want to be at by checkout time to nab a prime site.