Yellowstone Or Bust

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by gec66, Jun 24, 2011.

1. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Day 6 (Wednesday) was spent leisurely taking in Jackson, WY. A couple of rides down the mountain on the Alpine Slide, browsing the shops (gotta keep DW happy), dinner, and the grand finale for the day, the Jackson Hole Rodeo. A good time had by all.

Day 7 (Thursday) began with great excitement. A momma Grizzly with trips had been hanging out just 2 miles south of the Colter Bay Village entrance. We had tried both Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning to get a look, but she was staying just out of sight. This morning on our way to Denver was finally our lucky break. We saw the cubs very briefly and momma for a good ten minutes off and on. She was at least 1/4 mile off the road, but we finally got a look and some pics. Was a bit far for good pics with our camera, but there are one or two that there is no mistaking what is there.

It was a long trek across a very barren part of Wyoming today. 287 out of Grand Teton NP to I-80, but once we hit freeway things went pretty smooth. Arrived in Denver a little after 7pm, got set up, and scrounged some dinner. Tomorrow brings a trip to the top of Mount Evans, some prehistoric fun at Dinosaur Ridge, and a Colorado Rockies ball game. Laundry is done and it is time to get some sleep.

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Day 8 (Friday) brought a hair raising, white knuckle drive to the top of Mount Evans. A very narrow road with blind switchback turns. Despite the stress (especially DW) the end result was worth it. The highest auto road in North America! Outstanding views and amazing wild life. All I can say after that is we certainly witnessed some people more nuts than us. Bicyclists for one. It was one of the highlights of a trip my parents took us on in 1978 and my dad drove a motorhome up there! Absolutely insane!!!

Friday afternoon brought a stop at Dinosaur Ridge for a fabulous look at Dinosaur fossil evidence, then downtown for a Colorado Rockies ball game with a fantastic fireworks display afterward.

Day 9 (Saturday) and the last day before the long, mad dash home brought a day trip to Canon City for a train ride on the Royal Gorge Route. Spectacular views of the gorge and a relaxing ride then back to Colorado Springs for a Chuckwagon dinner with authentic cowboy food and entertainment. The fun is over and it is time to head for home. Hope you enjoyed the blog. Feel free to ask questions about anything we did on the trip. The only regret is that we didn't have 3 or 4 weeks instead of 11 days.

3. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Day 10 (Sunday) brings a long day in the van with necessity stops only. Traveled from Golden, CO to Des Moines, IA. Decided to hotel it only due to the combination of darkness and late, late arrival at a campground on July 3 just seeming like a bad idea. We actually have found that an express setup of the pup is not much different time wise than packing things into a hotel room. That and all of us getting ready at the same time in the morning vs sharing one bathroom makes mornings in the pup more efficient.

Day 11 (Monday) dawns early and we are on the road by 7:00. Punch in home on the GPS and get a wonderful surprise of 2.5 hours less estimated travel time than google maps told me. I always knew google maps was conservative on time, but I have found between towing the trailer and the frequent gas/food/bathroom breaks usually makes it relatively accurate for us. But today the shorter time seems obviously more correct and we decide to take advantage of our proximity to the Field Of Dreams movie site. Since we already make baseball a part of every vacation possible it is a natural fit and a wonderful bonus to the last day before back to the old grind stone. Spent an hour taking in the site, playing catch with DS who is now 14, and buying a few keepsakes. More memories to cherish and photos to remind us of happy times. We returned safely home tired, poorer than when we left, but richer for the experience. Also we are ever grateful for safe travels and only minor inconveniences along the way. Terrifically blessed for sure.

Sorry, no pics yet. Will try to get some up in the next few days.

4. gec66

gec66 Active Member

5. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

As I was trying to say....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your pictures. What an inspiration to go out west. Very nice family photos; can sure tell they're enjoying themselves. Thanks so much for sharing; really gives us something to think about when planning future trips.

6. ricko

ricko Member

Thank you for the notes... we leave for basically the same trip in 10 days. We can hardly wait!

Ricko

7. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Nice trip report. I started and ended my Yellowstone adventure less than 100 miles from the field of dreams site, yet I have never bothered to go there. I guess from the rest of your pics, you are pretty big baseball fans. Me? Not so much. My 16 year old daughter asked me the other night if we can repeat our Yellowstone trip of two summers ago. I said sure, but it will be next summer.