Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by A_LPopUp, Apr 22, 2014.

1. A_LPopUp

A_LPopUp Member

Hi.

My family of three is planning on taking our pop up to Yellowstone. From Atlanta, Ga. Is this a good idea, or are we just plain crazy? (I have suspicions it may be the latter of the two...) We found a campground that allows pop-ups (West Yellowstone KOA) but I'm more concerned about the two thousand miles that have to be traversed twice, with only two drivers. Is this a good idea?

2. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Wow that's a Lot of driving but as long as your up to it I say go for it!

3. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

People used to take a train then a stage chouch then hourse and pack mules to see Yellowstone it was worth it then it is still worth it today. When you are in the campgrounds there listen to all the different languges you here it wild I counted 15 one year in one evening walking around.

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Subscribing, we have long term (whiting the next 5 years) plans to do the same but from NC. When is your trip schedule? please come back and give us feedback!

Thanks!

5. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

That is awesome! We have it in our list, too. Go for it!
    M&K

6. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

After having seen it last year for the first time, I can say YES it is worth every mile! Look up my trip report titled Trip Out West for lots of pictures. We traveled 7000 miles on our trip.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

7. mv520

mv520 Active Member

A_LPopUp, could you clarify your question? Are you questioning 2 people driving 4,000 miles (have you two ever drove anything remotely close to this before? Thats a long way), or are you just questioning dragging the PUP for that distance? (and are you planning on camping or motel'ing on the way to/from)

I've been able to easily justify NOT taking the PUP on long trips. I go 65 MPH max (trailer tire limit) with the PUP, as opposed to 80 in WY and 75 in neighboring states. Over hours and hours that adds up. And then with my TV my gas mileage really drops with the PUP (even factoring in lower speeds). With the PUP over a long trip I'm traveling for an extra day or two at lower speeds, vs. without it I can get close to paying for inexpensive motels along the way over fewer travel days the saved gas money, and just generally less hassle.

8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I have contemplated myself the economic part of it and it seems just flying and then renting an RV might be more economical if all one care is to see Yellowstone specially if you are from the SE.

But then you miss spending all that time together with the family, in a suv, for a few days, many break stops, bad mph, "are we there yet?", "my butt hurts!", "im hungry!", etc... Yeah, I will fly and pay double!!! lol! Not really. If I was going with the pup I would take 2 or 3 of my vacation weeks and stop in a few places to camp in between, take many photos and build even greater memories!

9. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

10. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

It was a great trip but expensive to drive the pup there. Everything else was awesome.. Even the tired bickering.

I'd do it again, but would actually want more time. I'd like to spend a bit more time theer

11. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

We visited Yellowstone for the first time last summer. We pulled the pup from Minneapolis and stopped at a couple other campgrounds on the way to break up the driving. Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone was very nice. I hope to make the trip again in the next couple years.

12. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

Go for it! I did this trip from maryland, in two weeks with two drivers with stops at mount rushmore and the badlands. The trip really showed our girls how big and beautiful our country is and took almost 900 pictures. We are now planning on a grand canyon trip.

We limited our travel to no more than 6 hours drive time and planned to stop early enough to use the pool. We averaged 14 mpg and planned for 15 tanks of gas (actually used 16 and I have a 25 gallon tank).

We also camped at the west yellowstone koa, it is nice but it was one of the more pricey koa on our trip, and reservations are a must. We did go koa the whole way as they are close to the interstate and easy to find. If you do that, get the koa card as you get a discount for each night.

When you factor in your vehicle's mpg towing vs not towing, the cost of fuel and the cost of a camp site versus a camping cabin, it may be cheaper to not take the camper and use the camping cabins. But we really liked having our popup with us.

It was a trip of a lifetime and we still talk about it.

just us camping gals

13. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Years ago my first trip to Yellowstone was in my 1976 LAND cRUISER and1968 jAYCO. Then I stayed in the south side campground. It was worth the trip. 12 MPG but worth it. I have allways prefered to sleep with my own bed bugs not some other persons bugs. [LOL] There for I camp. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I say do it. IMO, one of the advantages of a PUP is that it is great for a long road trip -- but of course I'm biased on that point because I love to take long road trips (I'm on one now).

One thing I'll comment on -- you said you found a CG that would take popups. All CGs in Yellowstone (except one -- Fishing Bridge RV Park) take tents and popups.

Have fun and remember that the journey is part of the experience.

15. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Madison has no hook ups but a really sweet swimming hole a 1/2 mile drive away and the river is a walk. My boys played and cooled their tired feet every night building dams. The swimming hole is a must.

16. lealea75

lealea75 New Member

We are heading that way after kids are out of school for summer! Our drive is just a bit shorter than yours will be...

We are driving to St. Louis the first day and staying with friends. Then on northward. Omaha, Sioux Falls, Badlands (very interesting geography!), Rushmore, Custer State Park and across. We are staying in a hotel in Cody and will drive in early the next AM for a spot in the park. We have five nights of camping in the park and then will head south to Grand Teton for another five nights.

We have done this trip before, but we tent camped then. We actually purchased our current PUP because of this trip!

I prefer to have my own space. At least I know what to expect. Plus I like to be closer to the sights! Staying outside of the park is not ideal as traffic can really back up. We love the conveniences of KOA's but the costs are really high in some of them. JMO

17. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

I've camped at Yellowstone and the Tetons several times with my little PUP, driving from Indiana with just two drivers. I thought it was great! I don't use hookups, so I'm able to set up or tear down quickly when changing from one location to the next.

I've taken Lily cross country to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon, California, etc, loving every minute of it!

18. hootn

hootn Member

i have made that trip 3 times with one driver mostly, and that is from birmingham, al. i like to drive. crazy woman would fill in at times. 2 weeks will be the correct time to go out and back especiaaly pulling a pup. first 2 times we did it in a week time, without a pup. camped one night in canyon campground in a tent. 2nd time out thwere we stayed at a cabin between cody and the east entrance for 3 night. both of those trips we were running every day. in 2012 took 2 weeks and camped in madison for 3 nights didnt have to run to see everything. even left a day early to head to glacial np. a good 8 or 9 hour drive.
    we talked about going again this fall both decided to put it off for a few years until i get my 4th week vacation. that way i can use 2 weeks to head there and back. we like stopping at different places to look around. i suggest going thru wind river canyon on the way out there or back.

scott

19. A_LPopUp

A_LPopUp Member

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone! We'll be staying at the West Yellowstone KOA. We'll be leaving Thursday the 22nd, getting there on the next Sunday after picking up my father in Bozeman. The longest we've driven the trailer is about 800 miles, (Kansas City) and that was with three drivers, and only for a week. This trip, we have two weeks set aside for it, but only two drivers. We plan on 4 days up, 4 days back, and 6 days there. It's definitely going to be an adventure of sorts, but I think we can do it. Oh, we'll be staying at a Hotel on the way up and back. We can't really find a way to justify setting up and taking down every day(We think that would just tire us out more quickly). So again, thanks for all the feedback!!! It's really appreciated!

20. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

Have a great time!!! and safe travels.