YES ! We have no popups here...

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
The local dealer where we had bought or camper (new) last year was well known for stocking popup campers and parts.

This spring they were bought out by Camping World. I wasn't real thrilled about this, more for the " We're going to dominate the world " marketing than anything else.

Saturday, I was working on the old camper ( Starcraft ) prepping it for its voyage home with my lil sis, needed a few small parts ( the little wing nut twist locks that keep the door closed or in position on MANY popup campers)

We stopped by the NEW Camping World store in Raleigh. Well, not only do they NOT have that particular part, they don't sell or like to deal with popups.....this seems to be the CORPERATE mantra, not just the local store.

YES, they could get the part, but at $12 shipping minimum. ( part is probably $2 ea)

To the parts guys credit, he said this wasn't a very popular result of the buy out, as this area has a fairly healthy popup camper population. CW just doesn't want to deal with them.

Pretty much means I have no reason to return to this national company for much of anything.

Nice work Camping World !

I certainly hope others feel the same way

Maybe we as a group can sway the decision ?

Beerlifter

Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!
Jun 22, 2006
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
The CW in OKC employ a bunch of idiots!! Back during the time of our first pop up (83 Columbia) I drove from Norman to the OKC CW looking for simular small parts to replace on our pup. When I asked the salesman if the had patch kits for canvas tenting on the particular make of pop up he seriously had no idea what canvas even was!!!! I haven't been back since.

There pricing is ridiculous, getting someone to help you is next to impossible, just not a very well run business in OKC.

Fire Captain Jim

Jan 22, 2012
I was told the same thing. I know it's hard to understand. It took a while before I started shopping there again. I do get some accessories and supplies from there due to extra drive 30 more minutes away to get these items I buy. We- the pop up owners, need to send the president of Camping world a letter showing that we need them more now than ever since the smaller camping supply dealwrs are being bought up by them.
We need to enforce that we can be an asset to them in the long run!

yetavon

everything is better around a campfire.
Mar 11, 2010
Western NC
They need to change there name to Motorized Hotel Suite Inc. They have bought several old places around here and SUCK. we stopped by one the other day just to look at a Hybrid (DW is real interested) they told us that they dont deal with any but can order us one if we pay up front...then tried to talk us into a TT off their lot....

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, CW pretty much sucks it unless you have a class A or 5er. Of course, the only people that would be willing to pay their extortion markups are people who could afford class As or 5ers. Stopped by mine when I first got the p'up...took one look at the patio mat they were selling....turned right around and went to Walmart and got the same exact product for about $30 less. I haven't been back to CW since. We are fortunate here in Albuquerque that we have a number of dealerships that do deal with popups...we also have a local joint here that is basically the mom and pop version of CW and they are much more accomodating and appreciate your business.

bigdad

Super Active Member
Mar 5, 2007
Springfield Kentucky
Camping world is a joke i don't know how they have stayed in business for so long and Fire Capt Jim is right we need to let president of camping world know.

colorado_camper

Super Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Our CW just built a new, larger facility on the west side of Denver and I went there recently to get a new light with license plate mount because mine broke and I was shocked to see a couple of PUPs in the parking area. They weren't hooked up to anything so they were either there for repair or were for sale. They looked like new ones to me. [PU] [HY] [HYC] [ALPU] [NEON]

Sushidog

Jan 8, 2008
New Orleans
I was a loyal Camping World member who shopped there often, until last year. I went to my local CW store in La with my Aliner in tow. I told them I needed a current estimate on my camper for insurance purposes, and I would be willing to pay them for their time spent appraising it (as it was in like-new shape and I has some custom mods which felt increased its value above blue-book.) They refused to even look at it, saying it was their policy not to give appraisals. I took it to another local dealer who was all too happy to give me an appraisal at no charge! Guess who I'll be buying my next camper from! [ALPU]

Chip

daveo1289

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2012
Rochester NY
As almost everyone will attest to on this site, CW is over priced and over rated. I am fortunate to be in an area where we have many other dealers and places to take our PUP. CW only wants to sell you an RV and then soaks you for everything. Not my favorite place to shop.

qwed94

Mar 27, 2012
Not only does CW ---NOT--- deal with "anything or anybody". They are miserable to deal with when it comes to delivery. I spent quite some time on the road with my brother when he was a transporter. I mean he drove his Dodge/Cummins up to the Bristol/Goshen/Elkhart, Indiana area and moved brand new trailers to their respective dealers. Well sad to say that CW was the biggest "buyer" of these new trailers, but with more demands to the transporter than you could even fatham. Like making us back them in to the showroom. (Most commercial insurance will not pay if you damage a building that way). Or making us move numerous other units to place the new one in a certain place. They even refused the delivery a few times for a minor scratch that came from a flying "something" from the road.

Of course these transport companies got smart too. The last one CW tried to refuse, well, the transport co. told CW they would charge CW an astounding $15 a mile for the return trip. (Regular delivery fee is about $2.50 a mile) Needless to say CW took the trailer.

CW would generally order the driver to wash the RV upon arrival. These orders was pretty standard for almost every CW nationwide.

All of this would make sense EXCEPT every RV dealer has a forklift to move trailers much easier than a big long truck can, as well as every RV must be cleaned as part of final prep before the buying customer takes delivery of the unit. CW can close up shop tomorrow IMO. Except for the innocent workers that would be jobless.

blue

Jul 26, 2010
Blkvoodoo said:
Maybe we as a group can sway the decision ?

Maybe. But CW is not in the business of making people happy, they are in the business of making money. So we would have to some CW the potential money they are currently not making ... and hopefully that money is a large figure.

Sushidog

Jan 8, 2008
New Orleans
There are 2 (and only 2) things required for a successful sale, regardless what you are selling.
1. The customer leaves happy.
2. The seller makes a profit.

If you fail to do either, you won't be in business long.

Chip

blue

Jul 26, 2010
Sushidog said:
There are 2 (and only 2) things required for a successful sale, regardless what you are selling.
1. The customer leaves happy.
2. The seller makes a profit.

If you fail to do either, you won't be in business long.

Chip

Chip nailed it. If CW is not making money (from PUP owners), then they will not be interested in making PUP owners happy.

mckeapc67

Feb 22, 2011
Sushidog said:
I was a loyal Camping World member who shopped there often, until last year. I went to my local CW store in La with my Aliner in tow. I told them I needed a current estimate on my camper for insurance purposes, and I would be willing to pay them for their time spent appraising it (as it was in like-new shape and I has some custom mods which felt increased its value above blue-book.) They refused to even look at it, saying it was their policy not to give appraisals. I took it to another local dealer who was all too happy to give me an appraisal at no charge! Guess who I'll be buying my next camper from! [ALPU]

Chip

When we where shopping for PUPs last year, the local CW (probably the one you are talking about) didn't seem too interested in helping or giving info. They only had 1 used one there too. The other local dealer (also probably the one you are talking about) was very helpful; although, they don't keep PUPs at their main location but a few miles down the road at the "outlet" location.

I did notice this weekend in passing through that the CW in Foley, AL does seem to keep some PUPs there. Didn't stop by though.

brianbigdogsmith

Camp more Camp more often
Feb 20, 2012
Melviindale MI.
SUPPLY AND DEMAND IT SUCKS I WORKED SHIPPING AND RECEIVING FOR YEARS AND TO SHIP THING IS CHEEP IT THE PROCESSING THAT THEY NAIL YOU FOR BOX BUBBLE WARP TAPE TIME FOR SOMEONE TO PICK IT OFF THE SHELF.

nhcaveman

Barrington, NH
Mar 25, 2009
New Hampshire
I've posted my own topics here before about them, and how they treat the customer and will never walk through the door again.
And this one salesman still sends me emails trying to get me to come look at their campers, and I've even told the guy straight out that I will not do business there, yet every few months there's his email again.