Yet another abs roof repair, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Sjm9911, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Jill Harbaugh

Jill Harbaugh New Member

This sounds like my issue. A crack in to vinyl but not thru the fiberglass and no leaks. What brands did you use? So an expoxy and fiberglass tape. I need to do this repair before I replace the abs seal.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok so an update. After the cold winter, my pup was outside, the roof is still delamination. My guess, as i stated allready is that the water is allready under the abs layer and expands and contracts with the cold. So , the few peices that are coming up are close in proximity to the peices i glued down. The water moved and heaved the next weakest spot. For anyone that does this in the future, i would fully take off the abs and coat with gg. I will eaither fix this year or next depending on the time i have. I might just glue and tape to get through the season. I was disappointed it didnt work , but that is life. If your abs has lots of little cracks, and hasent been sealed, take it off. No need to waste time and money like me! :sad::sad:

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think we got lucky with no water trapped under our tape because we live in Florida and it's always hot enough to dry it up. We did it when it was summer. One day we may remove the entire ABS and make it look neat, but for now it's all good.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

I think i would have done a better job if i knew. But i think it also depends upon the amount of cracking. Lots of cracks more water. And Florida is a better area because you have less freezing. The water turns to ice , expands and small crack is now a large crack.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

True, it doesn't freeze here long enough to make ice. Maybe 6-8 hours per winter of below freezing temps and not all at once.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Brian P

Brian P New Member

Thank you so much for the heads up. My 96 Sun Valley has extreme cracking and separation. I wasn't sure if I could just rip off the ABS and directly coat the fiberglass. Looks like I know what my next project is... [MOD][HH]

7. CottonwoodMama

CottonwoodMama New Member

I just discovered a large tear in my ABS, and it too was covered with flex seal. Any ideas on a quick fix for a crack to keep it from catching the wind on the road? I really want to go camping this weekend, but this has thrown a wrench in that plan.

8. Sjm9911

Get some eterna bond tape. Or really any strong tape for now. The roof souldent leak as the foam core is solid. You just dont want to have peices fly off it hitting others.

9. Sjm9911

And a few here have removed the abs cover with good results. So look around. The more information you have on this issue the less sure you will be , lol. Not the advice you wanted, but its true. Good luck , the pup will be fine. It may not look pretty, but no one looks at the top when its set up!