Yet another tire question

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Clueless, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

Sorry folks for another tire question but I've been reading all the post here and other sites but I'm not finding an answer.

My pup spec's are
    UVW 1,430 lbs
    GVWR 2,359 lbs

The tires that are on it now are 145R12C ST type radial tires. The side walls call for 65psi but every where I look I see that C rated tires are suppose to be 50psi such as shown in this link. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

And if I go onto the Calisle site the only 145 tire they show is the ST145/R12 but is listed as a LRD tire ply. http://www.carlisletirestore.com/rad_trl.htm

So.... I give up trying to understand what I have and just ask what would be the recommended tire for my pup. I understand the ST is a must and radials are recommended so I guess my question boils down to brand and size. I really don't want to go out and buy 3 new tires and rims right now as I "think" the tires are ok right now but when I do need to replace them should I or could I go up to 13"?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

The easy answer is: If the sidewall says 65psi than inflate to 65psi (cold - ie less than one mile driven)
    Moving up in tire size can cause other problems, such as rubbing on the wheel well, more side to side flex on the hub (small but there) things like that.
    The MFG sticker should show the recommended tire size for your axle/unit.
    Good luck and happy tire hunting!
    As an aside:
    I have to replace the tires on the Bayside before the next trip, I'm just going to haul the unit to my local tire shop, after calling to get the tires ordered because they don't stock them, and have them mount, balance and install. (OTD price for my 185 80 D13 is $98/tire for a radial. Bias ply is about $6 cheaper/tire)

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

That's not a popular size today, so it's possible they stopped make the c range tire due to low volumes. You can definitely substitute a d range and be better off.
    And if the sidewall says 65 psi, check your trailer for the tire info, but 65 psi is probably where you should inflate them.

4. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I actually went so far as to put an E range tire on my pup. It is also a 145R12. It only cost a bit more, and I feel better having the stronger tire.

5. md-500man

md-500man Member

Clueless I also run the Carlisle 145 R12C tire's Most people believe this is a load range C tire, Read the sidewall carefully and see if this is not actually a D load range tire, it will be labeled below, and just to the right of the "Radial ST" on the sidewall.
    I have had this question before from a friend who wanted to upgrade his tires to D load range, he just did not look at all the labels on the tire and had D load range tires all the time.
    NOW yours may be load range C but my tire guru said you can not get the c range anymore from Carlisle BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS TRUE.
    Trailer parts superstore has this tire (145 R12C LOAD Range D ) priced at $50.00 each plus shipping, I just bought a couple..

MD

6. Clueless

md - Thanks! I'll take a look tonight. I'm guessing you might be right and I didn't take note of it because of the "C" on the end. How much did you have to pay for shipping?

I do keep them pumped up to 65psi as the side wall calls for but I just had to ask because there is some confusing info out there.

So... Carlisle's are good tires and I should stay with 12"? I saw some at Wally world the other day, would this be as good as any other place to get them?

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Don't know where they came up with that max tire pressure.
    My 4.8x12 LRC are labeled 85 psi max.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

9. md-500man

md-500man Member

Clueless
    I paid $18.00 shipping so it was $68.00 dollars to the door, my local retailer wanted $90.00 plus sales tax.
    I have never used any trailer tires from wally world so I can't help ya there (Sorry).
    Did your tire's turn out to be the D load range or the C.

MD

10. Aladin Sane

I would not put a Carlisle bias ply tire from walmart on my trailer for any reason. I used to buy them for my boat trailer from time to time. They gave me nothing but trouble.

11. Clueless

MD - I forgot to look last night. I suffer from CRAFT which is the advanced stages of CRS. lol When I check them again I'll let ya know what I find. Thanks for the shipping info. That sound like a good deal.

And thanks for the feed back on the Wally world tires folks. I think I'll stear clear from them.

12. Clueless

Better late than never. lol I forgot to get back to this thread with my tire rating. They are D rated as suspected. I just completed a 500 mile round trip on them but my butt was puckering the entire time because I wasn't sure how old these tires were. I just remembered the date code is sometimes molded into the side wall so I just looked at them tonight and I "think" I see a date code of 4301. Now I know why my butt was puckering so bad. [:O]
    These tires are the originals and even though they look bran new and the camper has been stored inside for the past 8 years, my gut told me that I should change them. Thankfully nothing went wrong on our trip and the did just fine.

So... It's time to do some tire shopping before the next trip coming up next month. Might buy new rims as well because the old ones are starting to rust, especially on the inside along the welds. I figured I could use the old tires and rims for winter storage and hide the new set in the garage.

Was just looking around on the web and saw some Kenda's but I've never heard of them before. Any name brands I should stay away from or any that are highly recommended?

Also, How do I determine the exceptable amount of tire clearance if I want to go up in tire size? I understand the type of springs will have to be considered.

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Kendas and Carlisle are a couple of good tire brands. Both have bias and radials, depending what you are wanting.
    I just bought a pair mounted from e-trailer with no shipping

14. Clueless

Thanks joet - I just took a peek over there and it looks like the Kenda ST145/R12 Radial - Load Range D is gonna run me $76 just for the tire! Ouch! [:!] and if I select Tire with rim it narrows it down to the Kenda KR25 ST145R12 Radial Trailer Tire with 12" Aluminum Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - Load Range D for $152 each.

Is it just me or does that sound really high?

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Try Eastern Marine, Northern Tool, and Harbor Freight. The Aluminum wheel will add to your final cost. You can always have your wheels reconed, (beaded and powder coated) for somewhere around 20 bucks

16. Aladin Sane

17. Clueless

Aladin - Thanks for the heads up on that place. I just called them and ordered a set of tires and Galv. rims. They even mount the tires for you for free! Total out the door cost including shipping was $178. I can deal with that! lol I looked into all the other places mentioned but these guys were a good bit cheaper and were very helpful on the phone.

And thanks to you as well Joet for the help. Much appreciated.

18. Aladin Sane

Glad i could help. I now have two seasons on the tires I bought from there and they still look like new.