Yikes.....get out the longjohns

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Old_Geezer, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Central PA @ 2100', yes folks thats frost, ice, Frozen H2O, call it what you will. There you have it. 31 according to the tell tale thermo meter. If anything some of the Covid campers found reality. Lots of tagged sites left vacant when they got skeered of the forecast. Other than a little nipply, a perfect weekend.[​IMG]

southern gal, RockyRoo, MiG and 8 others like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It was about 36 when I got up Saturday morning... noticed unprepared campers running their vehicles to get warm. I also saw quite a few empty (but reserved) sites.

3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

This is what we had. It snowed on us for two days. The thermometer read 26 degrees (F). The Creek fire is now burning at this location in California.

Mark looking at camera over stove.jpg

This is actually my oldest son. I'm too darn ugly to appear on camera. LOL

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

You all can keep that stuff. Im enjoying the 60's and 70's right now.

southern gal, Sjm9911 and BillyMc like this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

A number of years ago when my oldest was in lower elementary we were at a father/son tent camping event and the temps dipped right down to freezing overnight. We woke up and the ground was white with frost, even though it was only about this time of year (late September).

Some of the dads had NO idea how to cold weather camp. We were prepared, with extra heavy duty sleeping bags and additional blankets. The only hard part was getting out of bed in the morning! Some of the other dads didn't bring anything beyond a light fall jacket and a summer sleeping bag. A few of them got up in the middle of the night and slept in the car with it running. A few others packed out and went home first thing of the morning.

southern gal and grandpa mikey like this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It seems the weather has gone crazy lately, hopefully things will settle down soon.
    Just goes to show that the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared" still stands the test of time. I always have some cool weather gear in my truck as you never know when it will be needed. Sounds like you still had a good time camping. Good Luck and Keep on camping

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, we were out for the last week in Mid Ontario. Things are coming on a little early here too. The picture is of Thurs Sept 18 2020 at bedtime. It went to -2 C (about 30F) that night. We had a couple of -1's earlier in the week as well. Daytime highs of 10C (50F).

IMG_20200919_005316.jpg

8. BigAl

BigAl Active Member

Saturday morning at the campsite for us was 39; no frost but definitely cooler than our usual camping trips. Made good use of the PUP's heater both nights.

southern gal and neighbormike like this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Personal rule, Labor Day through Memorial Day I don't leave home without a jacket. Camping during this period gets extra bedding and warm clothing, even when heading to Florida.

southern gal and tfischer like this.
  10. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

We were out in North and South Dakota the week after Labor Day weekend. We drove from Medora (ND) down into the Rapid City area on Tuesday. There was snow in Spearfish. We got down to Angorstora Lake Park outside of Hot Springs and there was frost on the ground two mornings. We went up to Sylvan Lake and there was 4” of snow in the shady places. Some folks talked about a foot in the high elevations. Some of the kids hiked up to Black Elk Peak and built a snowman! Sunday of Labor Day weekend it was 100+ in Hot Springs - 2 days later below freezing! 4 days later pushing high 70s. I would like a little more constancy myself :)

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

John, you found my favorite time of year for camping! We are really looking forward to the next trip, just hoping we don’t end up in any snow situations trying to pull thru those Pennsylvania mountains. I have pulled in snow and ice before, but never this beast and not on steep grades. Keep that fire lit for me!

We still need to find a place to stop on our way home for our mid trip overnight.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Sally pulled cooler air in for us. The transition from summer to fall is often abrupt on Planet Georgia, though, so no biggie. Now Beta is poised to both warm up and drown out our planned weekend. (I was fine with a 20% chance of rain, but now they're talking 2-4 inches potential rainfall. Nope.)

southern gal likes this.
  13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Your neighbors to the south when we see that thermometer. Our brain translates to a few degrees above 0-F. Which is not that much fun camping. 30-F is not that bad.

Steveo4090 and Wrenchgear like this.
  14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It is time to fill the propane tank its about 1/3 full. Will need it for the next 3 months.

We are off the end of the week to NE Ohio on lake Eire. Forecast is calling for idea temp in low to mid 70's and nights in nigh 50's. So I think the tank will get fill after this trip.

15. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Went camping in New York's Finger Lakes this past weekend. Woke up to frost on Saturday morning, and heavy dew on Sunday morning.

It was the first run of the furnace. We were comfortable with the furnace keeping things in the low 60's overnight and warm sheets/blankets on the bed.

16. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, 30F isn't that bad by any means, but its a little early for the second week of Sept.

17. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Here is a video of our first Summer camp-out. The weather is not exactly what we expected.

gardenheather and CampingFamily1 like this.
  18. adkdave

adkdave Active Member

We woke up to 35 degrees last Tuesday in the Adirondacks, but we were well prepared, fired up the Mr. Buddy propane heater and enjoy breakfast in the camper at 70 degrees. Clear sunny days, cool nights and cold mornings all week.

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats why i quit backpacking years ago, lol. We were all like 16 /17 and decided to do bear mountain. Well it snowed, ( we didnt check weather) and at that age we goded each other and said dont be a wimp , so we headed off. It didnt stop snowing and we lost the trail. Long story short, ended up camping overnight somewhere, no where near where we were supost to be, fell down part of the mountian, got compleatly lost and followed a highway back untill someone gave our driver a ride to our car. All in all about 6 inches of snow fell. I never went camping again , untill i got the pop up. So, i like the warmer weather.

20. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I think your fairly safe in October. Think is the keyword in that sentence as I have seen a few dustings in the first few weeks of Oct, but mostly only on the ridge tops and usually not enough to coat the roads.

And now for your central PA mountains official old fart leaf changing rubbernecking official forecast. Peak color in about a week and a half.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    southern gal likes this.