Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Fremont, WI

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by csmithtrw, Jun 23, 2008.

1. csmithtrw

csmithtrw New Member

Hello to all

Just got back from our first camping trip to Jellystone campground in Fremont, WI and thought I would give you some feedback from our experience there. The good / bad and our families overall thoughts. It¡¦s just our opinion but if you¡¦re thinking about going at least I can promise it¡¦s an honest one.

This was the first time I have ever been to a park of this kind that is really marketed around kids and family fun. We have two boys ages 8 & 12 that were our reason for going. We camped in site # 251 and with only one other camper in our loop we had plenty of room. The down side was that we had no shade except for what we brought with us. After getting there we realized that there are many really nice shaded spots, we just didn¡¦t pick one ƒº Basicaly sites 239 ¡V 263 are in an open field with no shade. If you want a weekend in the sun then these are for you. Some really prime spots in my opinion would be 200 thru 210 and 105 thru 124.

The GOOD - Plenty of stuff for kids/family time. Pool, water slide, mini golf, arcade, fishing, etc. The park has daily activities as well and our posted, so you can really plan your day if you wish. Some of these were hayrides, bingo, live bands, movies, and many other things. The shower house we used was fairly clean and plenty of hot water.

The BAD ¡V The fact that we had no shade, but that was my fault for not checking prior to making the reservation. We went to the pool on Fri afternoon about 3pm and had fun but there were no chairs left open to watch the boys. Then went back Sat. morning at 10:15 (pool opens at 10am) and guess what? No chairs open! This wouldn¡¦t bother me so much except 75% of those chairs were basically towel holders only and nobody actually sat in them the entire time we were there. So if you want to sit or lay out, be there when the pool opens. Too many additional charges, the waterslide, mini golf, etc. We did by the arm bands for length of stay which gave us unlimited usage. But why not just charge a couple extra bucks for the site and be done with it. Also the arm bands had to be put on by the people in the office and were non-removable. So if you were going to be there a week ¡V guess what? You get to wear a plastic armband the entire time ƒº There is a small store as many parks do and as all of them, the prices are too the EXTREME !! Fremont is a town of about 700 so don¡¦t expect to find a Walmart. There was 1 gas station fairly close we went to a couple of times for ice and such but that¡¦s it.

OVERALL ¡V I know it looks bad as the Good section is short and the Bad section is so long. But everyone had a good time and we did enjoy the park very much. Most of the bad or negatives I have to say are just gripes really. If and when we go back we will do a couple of things different for sure:
    1) Pick a site with some shade ļ hopefully by the lake.
    2) Buy the arm band for Sat. only. One full day of pool, water slide and mini golf is enough.
    3) Utilize more of the free activities they offer.

The park was nice, clean and fairly quite or as quite as most would expect. The boys had fun and I¡¦m would go back if the opportunity presented itself. It costs a little more than our typical weekend but then again if offers a little more as well. I would recommend this to friends and after taking the family vote. From a scale of 1 to 10, Yogi Bear¡¦s Jellystone park gets an 8. That¡¦s our highest score given yet!

Chris & Theresa
    PUP 2000 Fleetwood Cheyenne
    TV 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8

2. binky

binky New Member

Other than some extra charges (probably low)and not having chairs at the pool....sounds like you and your family had a great time. You would go back again and would reccomend it to friends, sounds like a cool park to me.

I have stayed at a Jellystone (my first camping trip as an adult--25 years after my first camping trip) and I was impressed. Thats what led to tent camping....and then to our PUP...and then to the Portal. Probably won't be heading to your area......but I was very satisfied with the Jellystone in my neck of the woods.

3. vlad60050

vlad60050 New Member

try jellystone fort atkinsion,wi awesome in my opinion

me :72'
    wife :77'
    son :95'
    daughter 96'
    son : 02'
    tv : 02' chevy blazer
    pup: 85' starcraft starlite 21

Edited by - vlad60050 on June 23 2008 11:57:58

4. slackerjaw

slackerjaw New Member

I am debating between Fremont and another this weekend. Thanks for the info. Did you try out any of the canoes and such? I have been to quite a few parks where the paddle lake is a puddle.

DH '69, DW '68, DS '03, DD '05
    2006 Subaru Tribeca 2007 Viking 2470ST
    Nights camping 2008-4

5. csmithtrw

csmithtrw New Member

Slackerjaw,
    We didn't get on the lake at all. We thought about renting a pontoon for half a day but there were none available, only full day rentals. Since we figured the boys wouldn't want to spend the full day on a boat we didn't do it. The lake looks pretty big though and I think the canoe rentals were pretty reasonable in price.

The other thing I will add to my review is to bring toys for the pool. We forgot all of our stuff, balls, goggles, etc. Of course the store there has everything available but you won't want to pay the price they're asking. I ALWAYS check the price of the small propane bottles as thats the one item almost everyone carries. You can buy them at any Walmart or chain store for about $2.50 each or 2bucks if you catch them on sale. The store had them for $4.99 each.

Hope these things help someone who makes the trip and I'm sure you'll have a good time! Even though it is quite a bit more than money than your average camping weekend.

Chris & Theresa
    PUP 2000 Fleetwood Cheyenne
    TV 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8