Yosemite First Come Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by AZJim1, May 18, 2014.

1. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

Toying with the idea of heading back to Yosemite and was wondering how hard it is to get a site in one of the First-Come-First-Served campgrounds in Upper Yosemite? We would be there somtime during either the last week of July or first week of August. The plan would be to get somewhere somewhat close the day before and then go in and grab a couple of sites (BIL&SIL would be going as well). I know it is prime time so not sure how feasible it would be . . .

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Getting more than one site could be a problem. Traveling light would be important. I would start on a M, T, W, to have any chance at all. Tuolumne is half FCFS, and I have had good luck with Porcupine flat, but that was without a popup. I saw some reservations available for crane flat, but that was for mid-august.

HTH and good luck!

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

You can get a site almost anytime in the high country of Yosemite. Most of the world flocks to the valley leaving the high country for real campers.

4. ckreidler

ckreidler Member

another place you might try is Hodgdon Meadows camp ground. It is right inside the highway 120 entrance. but could be a tough get that time of the year. It is a nice campground, about a half hour from the valley but better yet it is only about an hour from the high country which is where I would be that time of the year. I have never spent a day in the valley during the summer months, I do that in the fall and winter months. Good Luck :)