Yosemite Wawona campground reservation available

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by campfreak, Feb 14, 2017.

1. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I just cancelled my camping reservations for Wawona campground in Yosemite starting June 14th. I only had 3 days, but you can reserve it for 7 days if you want, but you have to act RIGHT NOW.

2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Why'd you cancel?
    I just booked Upper Pines and Wawona for our first trip out there in June. I'm so excited. The whole booking experience was a little stressful though.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

We are staying in the valley for 3 days in June, then going to Jalama Beach after that. Friends of ours are staying longer in the valley, when we would have been in Wawona, but I didn't want to drive back and forth, and have to deal with parking the car. Plus, I have never been to Jalama, wanted to for a while.
    I guess you are going the 3rd or 4th week of June, right? Yeah, reservations are crazy. I tried to get 4th of July week today for a friend, but it was hopeless.

4. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

just checked showing no availability

5. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Yeah, I think everything was gone within about the first 20 minutes. It's crazy, but the place is world famous for a reason.

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Every time I have camped there I have gone in October. Never a problem getting a site. Tried for June with campfreak and it was literally gone in 30 seconds. No mustang GT either. One literally competes with the entire world for these camping spots. It is frustrating and discouraging, especially since I just about live next door to the park and can't get in there in summer.

7. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

June is prime time for waterfalls, and the roads to the entire park are normally open by then, but the Tuolumne campground and all the FCFS campgrounds are normally still closed, so there is an even bigger demand for valley campsites. There was a time when I didn't even bother trying to get June reservations, but my GF is a teacher, and June is the only time off she has in the summer, so now that's all I can do.

8. gardenbliss

Yeah, DS and DH and I all had 3 windows open for a total of 9 sites to try to reserve at upper pines. At 7:00am on the dot, we hit the [book now] button, only DS got a hit and the others were already booked in an instant. We also tried to book Tuolomne Meadows but the campground there is not open until July 17th, which we didn't realize. After a bit of scrambling, we were able to get 4 days at Wawona.

9. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

How many days were you able to get in Upper Pines?

10. gardenbliss

We are booked at UP for June 26-July 1, then Wawona July 1 - July 5th

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Getting June is awesome. Congratulations......

So, I figure that there are international travel agents, other entities and those who have super fast broadband to compete for the bookings. We can't even compete with normal home wifi or wireless cell network connections to get there. It is the quivelent of the last 5 seconds on an internet auction. There are so many that is it almost unattainable. Perhaps there will be enough water this year to enjoy in October.

12. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Wow. Good job, Robin! Try to bring bikes! The more you can stay out of your car in the valley, the better. ( I don't like the shuttle buses much, either)
    The reservation system is actually better now, since they started verifying I.D.s at check in. I think scalpers were a real big problem before that. I remember seeing a craigslist ad one time that wanted something like 150 bucks a night for Memorial Day weekend.

13. gardenbliss

Thanks CF,
    Now I'm worrying about how to keep my battery charged for the entirety of the trip. I have a solar suitcase that I can move around a bit to capture the sun, but of course we are going to be out and about during the day. How safe would it be to leave that out at the campsite when we are gone? The site is also heavily wooded by the looks of it. I guess I could buy a back up battery but that adds weight. I have a trickle charger but that won't do me any good without electricity. When we did Glacier 2 years ago, went 9 days without a problem so maybe if I'm extra stingy with the battery. I guess I could get a back up drill because mostly I'm just worried about raising and lowering the roof, which has an electric lift.

14. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Chances are you won't need your furnace too much, so that should help your battery.
    I have never had a problem with anything getting stolen there, but I have never put solar panels out, either.
    You could take jumper cables along, and jump from your TV battery if needed.
    Wawona should be quite a bit sunnier, so less of a problem there.

15. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Something I noticed the other day that's kind of a bummer. One of the best reasons for camping in Wawona, the Mariposa grove of giant sequoias, is closed for renovation. It was supposed to be re-opened in spring of 2017, now it looks like it's been moved back to fall of 2017.

16. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

X 2 on the jumper cables, don't leave home without them

17. gardenbliss

Thanks for that update Greg. Would you recommend skipping Wawona and doing Mono lake instead? What else is there to do near Wawona? Hiking wise or touristy?

18. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Chilnualna falls trail
    http://www.yosemitehikes.com/southern-yosemite/chilnualna-falls/chilnualna-falls.htm
    Pioneer history center.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/pyhc.pdf

Sierra Vista Scenic Byway
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Vista_Scenic_Byway

You should definitely get up to Glacier Point, and some of the other points along that road. Hiking down to the valley from there is absolutely awesome, but that is probably best accomplished while you are staying in the valley. If you don't get up there while staying in the valley, a day trip from Wawona is good, too.
    I'm not a huge fan of Mono Lake, but they do have a pretty cool visitor center there. Tuolumne Meadows is very nice. You should def. try to get there, too, and it is on the way to Mono Lake, with a major brake cooking downhill in between. It drops about 3000 ft. in 5 miles, so you might not want to pull your trailer down it. If it was me, I would just do a day trip to Tuolumne unless you are confident in your brakes and planning to go home that way anyhow.