1. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Hi All--- I ran a Forum Search but came up with nothing here, so started a new topic--- Some friends and I are considering Yosemite sometime this year once it warms up. I went onto the NPS site last night which branches you off to all kinds of privately owned and civic website and MAN, talk about info overload! I couldnt figure out where to start.

So-- thought I would try a shortcut here and hopefully get some feedback from any of you that have experienced any PUP trips in recent years. --- The Good, The Bad and the Ugly--- it all helps!

Thanks for any suggestions! Would be arriving from the Nevada side up and over from HWY 395 most likely?

2. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Hi-- Seems my post above was bumped off of the recent list pretty quickly so thougth I would re-post in case someone out there has been to Yosemite b4. Thanks for indulging me and any feedback you might have!

3. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

4. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Great! Thanks very much JBarz... weird. I ran a Yosemite search and all I kept getting were threads/info on Yosemite Model PUPs.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

You will need reservations FAR in advance if you want to stay in the valley. However, I've heard that the CGs on the Tioga Road are sometimes available without reservations. The valley is a must-see but the rest of the park is fantastic too. I loved Olmstead Point. (I camped in Yosemite decades ago with my parents. The last time I was there as an adult I was with a camera group. We stayed in a hotel just outside the park and went in daily so campsite availability was not an issue.)

If you come up from Lee Vining on 395 plan to take it slow and easy. That pass is almost 10,000 feet and has 8% grades in places. Your TV probably hasn't had to deal with such conditions very often. Total vehicle/trailer length can make some of the switchbacks dicey. Keep an eye on the weather report because even in June there can be snow and ice on the road or fog in the air.

6. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Thanks UT-- I appreciate it! Good point-- I will definitely give my TV a test run up to Mt. Charleston with my PUP this spring (will be the first time since buying) once the snow clears and the CG's re-op. Most camping is at 8000 ft here. Have you been? Only 60 minutes north of Vegas, highest peak is 12,000 ft, Bristlecone pines forest-- believed to be the oldest plant on Earth or close. 4 or 5 CG's up there with Great hiking, Skiing in the winter. In the summer, it might be 115F on your TV thermometer at the turn off on I-95-- and then within 20 minutes it could be only 75F. Crazy situation, considering still in the middle of the Mojave so close to Vegas.

Sorry-- got off track!

At Yosemite, The RSV systems seem to be staggered windows.. dates open in blocks of 3 months out or similar. I was concerned when i first checked it out that everything had booked by now for '11. Thanks again

7. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Lower_Pines/r/campgroundBookingWindow.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70928

According to recreation.gov, they will open the July window starting on Feb 15. I would recommend calling them to find out at what time those sites are available. What I did last year was create an account and log in before the time. Then select which campground and site and keep trying to reserve it until you get it. It worked for me, YMMV.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm

There's lot of information about the park and things to do in the guide. Have fun planning and even more fun doing.

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

The windows open 5 months out. The reservations are made available at 7:00 PST, SHARP!!!... Someone mentioned registering ahead of time... that's definitely a good idea. Be ready and logged in a few minutes early, they will let you do that. They will even let you choose your site a few minutes early, but you can't click the "book now" button until it's time. My niece recently learned the hard way about this. She logged in 10 minutes late, and almost all the sites were gone.
    Have the site you want lined up, and have a backup plan.
    OK, maybe I'm getting a little carried away here, but we do multiple sites, multiple families. If you just need a single site for one or 2 weeknights, you can probably find one.
    Tuolumne Meadows is much easier to get a reservation at than the valley floor CG's, and it will be closer for you, too. I think half the sites are FCFS, also, but I would rather get a reservation. The other CG's along the Tioga road are all FCFS, but they are quite primitive, and are not all that trailer friendly.
    HTH, Greg ( CF)

9. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Just as a note, Tioga Road didn't open until mid-June and Tuolomne Meadows didn't open until late July this year. It just didn't stop snowing.

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We much prefer the first-come, first-serve campgrounds (mostly along the Tioga Road, but also Bridalveil Creek on the Glacier Point Road). They're less crowded, set amidst rustic beauty, and have more of a real camping experience than the crowded tent cities in Yosemite Valley. Honestly, staying in the Valley has pros and cons. Pro, you're amidst the great scenery for which Yosemite Valley is famous; con: you're crowded in with all sorts of yahoos and have the same city problems of noise, pollution, crime and traffic. The higher country campsites are much more peaceful.

I worked in Yosemite (it was my first actual park assignment after working for a stint at an NPS study area in Pennsylvania that never became a park unit), and while I loved the scenery and the backcountry, the crowds and yahoos got to me. I asked for a new park the next season. I've been back a couple of times, last time in 2009 as a camper, and remembered why the Valley was such a pit, literally and figuratively. We enjoyed our time in the high country again, but my gal has no interest in seeing Yosemite Valley again.

Of the high country campgrounds, I am partial to White Wolf off the Tioga Road; it's maybe 30-40 minutes to the Valley, depending on traffic. I also like Yosemite Creek and Tuolumne Meadows (half of which is first-come first serve). You won't need to be hampered by (or be able to even make) reservations; if you get to a campsite by early afternoon, you WILL find a space.

I know my advice is contrary to most folks, but take it for what it's worth.

11. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

Thanks everyone for the information. I am looking at going to Yosemite next year around June. Is that a good time of year to go? Would it be better in early or late June? I do not want to deal with snow, but I want to see the waterfalls at full force.

12. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I was in Yosemite 3 weeks ago - the water IS in FULL force NOW!! The ranger was saying that the Merced has about 6 times the normal water for the time of year.

13. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We don't know what the winter snowfall will be, or more importantly about late snows. June may be ideal, but a large and late snowpack may make it impossible to get to the park over Tioga Pass from 395, forcing you into a very, very long detour.

My suggestion, ask again in late May when we can gauge the conditions.

14. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

June reservations on the valley floor are just about impossible to get, IMO. If you want to see the falls at full force, go the 2nd or 3rd week in May.
    Downside: Glacier point and Tioga road probably won't be open, Half Dome cables will probably not be up. Weather can be iffy. I have been there when it snowed in May, but it was only a few inches, and it didn't stick around long, but it was awesome.
    Upside: MUCH easier to get a valley campsite. Less Yahoos. Peak water runoff usually happens then.

15. popupmom

popupmom New Member

I agree with those telling you to camp at the higher campgrounds. They are much quieter and you can always drive down into the valley to see the sights. It is too crowded in the valley for my liking. I camp for the quiet. Yosemite is beautiful and well worth the visit. We come in from the south and have camped at Summerdale (I think that's the name). It's only a short drive to the entrance. The campground was nice but not the best toilets (pit potties and I was 8 months pregnant - not a great combination).

16. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

Well, I've done some research and have decided to go in early June. I live in California so I will have many chances to go and try different locations over the years.

17. peteacher

peteacher New Member

We camped in Yosemite at Crane flat campground last week. While it was nice to be away from the crowds in the valley, there are no showers in Yosemite except in the valley which is a major pain! Also there is no light in the bathrooms at crane flat and they were filthy! [:(O]