You can still be around the campfire in the winter months.

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jash1178, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Now, let me start this off by telling you that I am not much into online games and such. When I read this months issue of PopUpTimes and the story about virtual camping I was skeptical. If you have the winter 2013 issue you can turn to page 12 and see wonderful pics of a nice well kept CG. This cg is nice you would say! Where is it located?

Let me tell you where it is located. It is located online, its a virtual campground. First you would need to register free at www.olantica.com and create an avatar (character). Then you need to download a viewer, a program used by your computer to view this online world. Go back to www.olantica.com and find the link that says "Get pheonix", pheonix is the online viewer. Once you have installed the viewer you will need to enter the olantica grid into the viewer's grid list. Start pheonix and click the grids tab. You will want to enter http://olantica.net:8002/ into the login URL field at the top of the preference window then click the "get grid info" button. This will fill in the other fields that are required with the appropriate information. Now you are ready to log in.

To log in make sure you select olantica from the grid drop down list then enter your first name, last name and password and click log in. If all goes right your avatar should land in the Olantica Welcome Center. Your avatar will be a basic starter avatar that is not to attractive. You can change that as you learn to better use the program. You will run into someone who will help you at the welcome center get to the cg. Once set up this is a great way to get through the winter months and still be able to sit around a fire, talk to friends. You can get your own campsite complete with camper and add almost anything to it. Once you get in and get use to it you will not regret trying it out. I never thought I would like it but I did. After all, what have you got to lose, its free. The site is run by a man who also owns popuptimes and a fellow pup owner. When you get there and meet one of the olantica staff, tell them the park ranger sent you! [CP]

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Is it a SIMS type game?? Or a 'scenario' situation where you can chat with whomever next to the virtual fire??

[:D]

3. jash1178

You can chat to the other campers around the fire. Just as if you were right next to them. It even has a voice feature that you can use if you have a microphone. You can actually just talk and hear the others like a real conversation. I'm telling you, once you get comfortable with it, it will take the camping withdraws away, or at least make it easier. [:)C]

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ooohhh..ok...it sounds like a program some friends and I used to use called PalTalk. When the quality was 'right on', we could usually have successful jams online...all in the comfort of our own homes. Cool. Might check it out!

Thanks for sharing!

[:D]

5. jash1178

No prob. :)

6. jash1178

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Not quite the campfire I had in mind. This weekend I'm digging out the fire pit and building a real fire. Winter's been too long. Looking forward to my first brat or hotdog grilled over a campfire!

8. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Sounds like a lot of other "free to play" but to do any serious upgrading at anything other than a snail's pace, you purchase credits with real money.

From the Currency tab on the home page:
    and from the Buy/Sell tab:
    Again, I am sure it is indeed free to play, but upgrades will be slow or some are often impossible without the real purchase of credits, or Olantos in this case. Am I wrong?

9. jash1178

There is A LOT for free. I have an apartment fully furnished a camper and a full campsite with everything and have not spent a dime. And I have only been on for one week. Yes you can add money to buy bigger things, but dont need to. But the conversion rate is $1.00 = $100 in Olantica money. But as I said, that choice is up to the user, you don't have to get money involved at all.

10. jash1178

11. not_camping

not_camping New Member

Why do you keep bumping this???

12. jash1178

[RTM]

13. jash1178

[CP]

14. jash1178