You guys/gals have inspired me to redecorate...

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by bgbluram, Jul 23, 2016.

1. bgbluram

bgbluram New Member

So I am new to PUPS, but I am having so much fun messing with this thing. It is a Coleman Shenandoah, and it was all original, down to the floral curtain tie backs and green curtains/striped cushions. Well after watching a few youtube videos and reading a bunch of threads on this forum, I decided to redecorate.

My pup didn't come with a port-a-potty, so I ordered one and will be building a custom cabinet to house it. I ordered the Camco model 41541 after reading many reviews.

I also ordered some peel-and-stick vinyl wood plank flooring. It's going to look awesome!

I have already recovered the cushions and I am really happy with how they turned out. I also purchased some throw pillows for comfort since the PUP didn't come with any.

Next on the list is to tackle a couple of privacy curtains for the bunks. Here's where I run into a little issue. I thought I could just purchase a simple shower curtain rod and cut and hem a black out curtain and be done, however, the longest shower curtain rod I can find only extends to 72" and my PUP is about 75" wide at the top of the bunks. So what's the solution? Use a wooden dowel? PVC? How do you guys/gals do it? My PUP doesn't have the rail for the curtains like I have seen on a few other models.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed! I will be adding pictures soon!

2. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

One suggestion that came from Singinmom is to use bamboo poles.
    They so come in 8 foot lengths - just cut to size.

I will use 1/2" bamboo for my valances because they have tabs, the pole will be visible.
    I will use aircraft cable (dollar store "clothes line") for the privacy curtains that will be hidden under valance. Some have used bungee/shock cord.

Note that grommeted or rod pocket curtains probably will not slide nicely over bamboo.

You could also just purchase any of the 3-4 types of tracks (and their matching clips) that the manufacturers use in other models. Not sure which slide best, our type "D" bug me enough I don't want to reuse them.

3. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Attached Files:

4. bgbluram

bgbluram New Member

Thank you for the link for that curtain rod! I did find some extra long curtain rods that adjust to 80" at Target after posting this.. So a solution has been made to the problem. Today I'll be working on cutting and sizing the black out curtains I went with. Wish me luck.

5. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Good luck, I'm sure you will do awesome! Post pics when you are done!

6. bgbluram

bgbluram New Member

Well today I got some work done. I created the new cabinet that my porta potty will reside in. I got the idea from thepopupprincess.com as well as from a few members on here. It wasn't too hard to build, just time consuming. Anyway onto some pictures of my progress:

Here is a photo of my new cushion covers as well as the decorative pillows I bought that match.

[​IMG]

Here is the beginning stages of the privacy curtains that I am making. The shower curtain wasn't quite wide enough so I will be adding some more material to them once I find the right pattern that the DW likes and they will match the curtains.

[​IMG]

And finally my project for today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bucket is just there for reference [LOL]

7. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Hey that looks like my porta potty....

8. bgbluram

bgbluram New Member

Port-a-potty

HAHA! yeah It seems like a lot of people just use the old pale for their port-a-potty. I have sense added a Camco 20L potty in the pale's place.

Also, today I finished the laminated wood plank flooring! It looks fantastic. Next I will be cutting and adding new half-round base boards to finish it off. Pictures to come...

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've had that potty for many, many years and it's the best! I've used it tenting and in our previous campers. In all the years I've had it, there has been no seal disintegration, no odor, strong flushing. It's really what I wish my current camper had built in.

Our NTU camper has a Thetford cassette built in. I don't care for it at all. The seat is not as comfortable, and the flush is downright lame. Not enough water to actually rinse out the bowl well. I hope this is an issue that I can somehow fix, and is a result of not being used in the past. Right now I have to keep a bottle of water in the shower/potty to give it an extra rinse.

Speaking of which, I need to go ask about this on the potty forum.

Your cabinet looks great and you will love having a well functioning potty!