you know what i don't get?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nimrod65, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Out here on the High Plains of Eastern NM it can get pretty cold at night. DW and I went out to Oasis State Park for an overnighter this past weekend to see how comfortable my RTT(Roof Top Tent) with annex would be when the temps drop into the teens.
    It was about 55 degrees when we set up camp and by 7 pm it was 30 degrees with an overnight low of 17.
    Sitting around the fire listening to Porcupine Tree watching the stars and sipping Crown Royal, man it doesn't get any better.
    With the Little Buddy Heater we stayed roasty toasty all night when we turned in for the evening.
    We even had some noisy visitors in camp(large pack of Coyotes).

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why some camp in these frigid temps. -32C is what we woke up to at 5am, and with the windchill it was more like -40C. Brrrrr

I'm sure some people up here camp in these temps.......but I don't know of anyone personally!

The humidity is sometimes rough in the summer, as we have no A/C, but that's the way we want it. I'd rather be "camping" in the humidity then enjoying the a/c in the camper. If I was going to do that, I might as well stay at home! lol
    That's what the beach is for!

3. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Nimrod65, let us count the whys...no mosquitos, no flies, no ants, Bears are in DEEP sleep. oh as for the Texas heat, one can acclimate and find shade and drink to cool off, the A/C is used by uspersonally late at night, after the showers, or rinse off. We do camp out when it is cold also, but cold down here may be upper twenties on occasion like this weekend. Guess what we still "fixin ta go camping" [LOL]

4. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

When we get back to 50's in the day / 30's at night. I'm outa here! Anything outside of that begins to get a little uncomfortable for me. But that's why I have A/C and Heat. Can't wait for a little warm up!!

5. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I'm not much for winter camping either. We have a State Park on the coast that lights up the park at Christmas. I would like to go camp near there one year for Christmas though and go check it out.

6. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Being from south Texas, I don't get the REALLY cold weather, snow, etc. but some cold is nice down here. Much more preferable than hot, humid and mosquito ridden. Wind, however, is a different story when it's cold.

We camped at our ranch recently (central Texas southwest of Ft. Worth) and it was 19 with 26 mph winds. Brrr. I don't even want to know the wind chill. No thank you! 0 degree temps?!? That is beyond my comprehension.

The girls didn't mind the ranch (dd + friend) but man, once that sun set we had the fire roaring. Then the wind picked up and dh and I were outside taking care of the fire once the girls bailed to go cover up (all sugared up on marshmallows and s'mores, lol). Good whiskey like Rebecca Creek helps [;)]

Overall, I won't camp in our hotter months but now that we have a PUP with a/c I might reconsider since dh is big into fishing and likes to go to coastal towns/areas.

7. Steph

Steph Member

St. Croix River Valley - Indianhead Region
    For us right now in WI, 17 degrees is a heat wave.

8. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We do a trip in the fall every year and we have been down around 25 at night and did just fine. We do Scout trips with just tents and sleeping bags in 20-25 degree weather. You become very active during the day to stay warm and appreciate good sleeping bags at night. The worst thing is rolling out of the tent early in the morning. It's much different waking up in the camper with the furnace and a space heater and a heated mattress pad. As the years go by, I am starting to like the popup version of camping much better. I do love the quiet of fresh snow in the woods.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

WendyLouWho said:
    When I lived in San Antonio we had a secretary in the office who had never been out of south Texas. She could not comprehend extremely cold either. So, I asked her if she had a freezer at home. She said yes so I continued, "Most freezers hold right about zero, so go home, open your freezer and stick your head in there for a minute. Then imagine that the whole world is like that." The horrified look on her face was absolutely priceless.

10. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

The coldest day on record here in Raleigh was on my 21st birthday (many moons ago). I was in college and had to walk to class in -6 degree temps. I would prefer not to ever see that kind of cold again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. froggie

froggie New Member

If you want to camp in Arkansas in the summer, you better have a/c. Florida, too. We need it to sleep at night.

12. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

You know it's been cold when 10 degrees starts to feel warm. [:O]

13. bearman512

Here are pics from this last weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Very cool!

15. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Yetavon, that sounds like a great trip. I got a new kayak last year. I haven't had a chance to use it very much yet. That will change this year. Have a great time.

16. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Oooohhh, to have -6 degree temps again.......I could wear summer clothes, go swimming, pull out the camper and sunbathe....lol

17. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

Great set up!

Alan [UNI]

18. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

[LOL]

I guess that would be about right. However, I will take your word for it!

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@bearman512
    nice set-up, we've seen these from time to time, and variations on the theme. Still looks cold!

20. bearman512

With the little buddy running on high it was very warm inside the sleeping area above the Jeep.
    It was so cold out that when I stepped out to get some water I found that the 6 gal jug of water had frozen and moved it inside.
    Sitting by the campfire was great and as you well know the sky here in NM is super clear in the winter and it is not uncommon to see multiple falling stars.
    The only bad is having to go up and down the ladder multiple times if you have a weak bladder. [:D]