you know what i don't get?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nimrod65, Jan 21, 2014.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

. I agree. Especially in the rain!

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

There are a few things about camping I don't get as well. Like camping in 'field like' sites which have no privacy and generally your neighboring trailer is a few feet away. Give me trees and privacy any day! Or how about the big travel trailers with A/C and satellite dishes.....a lot of these people park them and stay inside them for most of the stay watching t.v. etc. Why not just stay home then? Also I don't get how a lot of campers can't figure out that sound travels....you may like your music loud but other people are away from the city for the peace and quiet.

3. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

To each his own.
    Personally, after working 10 hour days and my wife's schedule, even worse, we like nothing better that to decompress and unwind by just relaxing around the campfire for awhile. After a day or two, we'll do a lot of biking and go for a drive and check out the local flavor.

In any case, if we want to relax and mind our own business by quietly sitting around our campfire all weekend...that's our right.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm the type that treats camp like home base. I'm out hiking the tails come back for lunch or quick nap before heading out again. Now when I camp with my parents I stick around and chat or take the dogs for a walk. My parents, mom in particular gets real sick at times, that she can't get out to see the sites but goes stir crazy if she can't ge out. Now what I don't get is the obnoxious campers that are oblivious to other campers. Where they think they own the place and speak profanities every third word. Trying to explIn there are kids around falls on deaf ears or they get real pissy.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

As a photographer I am out and about most of the time too. I travel to places to sight-see and get pictures. When camping in national parks I have noticed that most others are gone all day too. The CG actually becomes very empty and quiet until dinner time.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Unstable tripod...I have just discovered state park campgrounds and have noticed how much quieter they are. Some are better than others but I guess that depends on funding and how busy they get. There is a whole world of camping that I didn't care to try until this portal.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Never having camped there I can't speak about the VA state parks. I avoid the state parks here in WA for a couple of reasons. First, they are soooo much more expensive than the federal facilities. Second, they tend to be far too civilized for my taste. I like wilderness and many WA state parks have lawns with underground sprinkling systems. I rarely camp on weekends because all camping areas are more crowded then. Being retired I can camp during the week when there are fewer people. I also find the state park CGs to be (general observation, not 100% rule) more "party oriented" than wilderness NFS CGs.

8. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We don't go in the middle of winter. But you cant just sit around and wait for the weather to fit your needs, especially in KY

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

When I was much younger my son and I would put on our backpacks and head into the woods on any winter's day.
    It showed us we are the masters of the environment. We would build a fire and stay several days. Young minds, young ideas, don't try to guess for someone else.

Tom

10. IPAman

IPAman New Member

When camping in the Texas summer the a/c is for sleeping at night and not waking up in a pool of sweat. I have no issues being active outdoors during the day in summer.

11. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I refuse to camp in the August. The only place comfortable is the beach and it is loaded full of tourists. My favorite time is fall. Just starting to cool down, but nice out and the kids have gone back to school, so there are less people out and about.

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

^
    ^
    ^
    Not that I necessarily like getting older, but for the reasons you state, we are looking forward to retirement in 2 years. After Labor Day, parks are quieter, less crowded, weather cooler, and less bugs.

The other eleven months of the year are just a build up to October.

13. lasttruck

lasttruck New Member

We have found that we really enjoy camping in the shoulder seasons, especially during the week.

Fewer crowds and less competition for the good areas. We do stop at a state park or rv park when we needed to dump tanks, do laundry and fill up with fresh water. Other than that, dry camping in FS or NPS campgrounds or boondocking are what we look for.

Only summer camping we really do is our rally each July.

14. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

How do you transport that propane tank? Hopefully not inside your vehicle?

I go camping to be outside as much as possible. The older I get, the less I'm able to deal with the cold.
    Thus I don't camp in the cold.

I will go with the Scout troop in the winter if we'll be in a cabin. It's not that I don't enjoy being outdoors in the winter. I just want a comfortable, warm place to unwind after being outside [CF]

15. Unstable_Tripod

Tacoma_Jim:
    It rarely gets hot up here in the PNW, folks. Seattle averages only three days at 90 or more a year. I've been here 25 years and it hit 100 only about half a dozen times. I get a kick out the way the local TV news shows go nuts and start ranting about "heat precautions" when it goes over 80. It's like when they get an inch of snow in the deep South. Everyone goes off the deep end. July and August are my favorite months to camp up here. Those are the times we can camp [;)] "as god intended," [:D] wearing T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops.

16. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

I have a smaller 11lb tank that mounts on top but for this trip this bottle was carried all of 5 miles to this State Park.