YOUR CAMPFIRE

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by McCampers, Oct 30, 2018.

1. McCampers

McCampers Member

What type of camper are you? Most of us enjoy a good campfire, however some do not and that is when your campfire handling skills matter. A fire smokes because of the lack of oxygen. Do you create a fire properly stacked to reduce the smoke or do you just put another log on the fire. Do you put your fire out when you go in for the night or do you leave it smoldering and smoking up the entire camoground. I believe a good campfire provides so much enjoyment to the camping experience that it is worth it to learn to do it right for both your camp and the neighbors.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Its been my experience that trying to burn wet or improperly seasoned wood is what typically causes excessive smoke.

Dback2k4, Orchid, Toedtoes and 2 others like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hard to say, it depends on the situation. I do build it nicely to start. Then just lean a log or two on the fire teepee style. I only have 3 to 4 logs burning at most. I do see people struggling with there fires. And the wet wood is sometimes had to aviod, especially if you get it at the campground. I usally put it out, unless its almost burnt out allready snd not windy out. I do always have an extuingisher outside the pup. I never used lighter fluid. But sometimes will use a firestarter.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was a girls scout for my whole child hood so proper fire etiquette was drilled into our heads. No leaving the Fire un attended ever. To always keep four cans of water or more near your fire ring to throughly distinguish a fire where the pit itself is cold to the touch and not a single hot coal can be found. To always keep your fire in the fire pit and not make it large, but to keep it small and more manageable. However like mentioned above even though my fire has more than enough oxygen it's the type of wood that really plays in the smoky fires. Campground wood is usually not very dry at all. If I buy the expensive kiln dried wood sure my fire has less smoke but that wood just burns down so darn quick. Due to the firewood ban I only buy campground firewood. I've seen the destruction of those nasty bugs and don't want it to spread.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we build a fire we usually build it up a little on top of a few logs to get more oxygen under it. We have plenty of seasoned oak firewood and I will put it in the garage about a week before our trip to make sure it's dry. As it gets a nice bed of red hot coals we will add 2-3 logs at a time but placed accordingly so it still gets good airflow. As for going in the for the night, we usually stop feeding the fire about 30-60 minutes before we plan on going to bed. At that point it's just hot coals and then we pour water over it and stir to make sure all the coals are out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I always buy a bottle of cheap lighter fluid at the store near the campground. I bring lumber scraps from a shed company. With lighter fluid I can start a fire in the rain.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Thats cheating! ( ive been known to break out my pumbers torche to start my fire pit at home).

BelchFire, Orchid and jmkay1 like this.
  8. silvermickey2002

Hey, nothing wrong with using a torch! We do that at home sometimes in the firepit!!!

BelchFire, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Agreed... and when this is all the campground sells, you're kind of SOL

eoleson1 and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just use a environmentally friendly fire log when I want a fire. I know how long it will last, when it's out it's out, easy to start, minimal smoke. If I want a bigger fire, I add some local wood once it's started.

But I don't usually have campfires - Bat-dog and Moose-dog say the nighttime in inside time.

BillyMc likes this.
  11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If have two kilos of thermite that I have been saving for just that stubborn fire.

WVhillbilly, kgesiako and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. silvermickey2002

If you do use it you better video it and post the results here!!!!

kgesiako and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

I'd watch that ; )

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Looks safe enough to use.......

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Tannerite is a way different story than thermite.

jnc likes this.
  16. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

When we were camping this summer there was a fire ban for the first week. The whole Campground had a different vibe with no fired. On the way home we stopped at a busy campground and the amount of smoke seemed excessive after the clear air at the first park.

17. Sjm9911

Whoops mis read!

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm not the fire builder, but we always have a good campfire. We don't put it out with water at night, but do time it so we quit adding wood so it will die down when we want to go inside. However, I do have a propane fire pit on order so those days are gone for us anyway.

19. Sjm9911

Ok you guilted me into lighting up the fireplace! I will say those firestarters thay i had just in case really work well. Heated up the flue in no time and started the kinddling easy. So much easier, oh and im cheap so i broke them in half. I did try them in the campfire, thats why im using them now. They were in the pup when i bought it.

20. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I cut strips of OSB board and soak them in kerosene for a fire starter,.makes for a quick and hot fire. But we only boondock in the middle of nowhere...no neighbors. who cares if the fire smokes. It just keeps the bugs away

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    jnc and Sjm9911 like this.