Your Favorite Day Hike and Why ?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by jumpoff, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I'll be first... [:D]

My favorite day hike is the profile trail at Grandfather Mtn. in N.C. You go out to McRae Peak and the Calloway Peak. They are about 6600 ft. For those of you in the Rockies I know that elevation seems low but for east of the Miss. River that's really high.

The reason I like the trail is the amazing views and the challenging terrain.

2. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Whew! So many to choose from, but I'll go with the Grand Teton from the Exum Route.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/upper-exum-ridge/105933562

Myself and two friends wanted to do it in 8 hours at 14 miles and 7000' of elevation gain. We started at 4am to hopefully avoid afternoon t-storms. We hiked at a fast pace and got to the rock climbing bit, with 3 hours left. We solo (no ropes) climbed the last thousand feet. I was not hydrating or eating properly and the scariest moment came on the crux friction pitch. While doing the hard move I felt myself start to bonk: I start seeing stars and I feel myself starting to black out. I am above a thousand foot tumble. I lean against the wall and take slow deep breaths, while repeating in my head: no, no, no. The feeling passes and I climb about 20' to a ledge where I lay on my back and start eating and drinking and feeling very lucky, stupid and happy combined. I am almost sleeping when one friend above me comes back to me and says, "what the f $!# r u doing, look!" Looking west a huge thunder head is forming and we still have to get to the summit as there is no retreat at this point. We regroup, I am eating while hiking, we get about 100 feet from the summit to where the descent trail starts, and we look at each other, the approaching storm and without saying anything, we scamper to the summit, take pictures (we brought burger King crowns from the logan, ut one to wear for this moment ) and start scrambling down. After getting to the lower saddle, we are at 7 hours, my 2 friends give up on 8 hours, we r well off the summit and the approaching storm is still a few minutes away, so walking we should avoid any lightning. I say, to heck with it, I think I can get to the car (about 5 miles) if I run. I miss it by 15 minutes. With about 1.5 miles left I am passed by a woman with 2 20# propane tanks strapped to her back!

3. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

This was a favorite of my girlfriend and me too - which is why I proposed after we crossed the suspension bridge, and why we, many years later, moved to a house looking right at Grandfather Mt. :)

4. jumpoff

Jealous to say the least.

5. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

We don't live there anymore unfortunately. I like to say that DW wanted to move and I wanted to stay - so we compromised....and moved. :)

6. jumpoff

My two friends "give up"...did they not finish the hike with you ? And then after all that you run the last five miles to your car ???? Man you have have some kind of stamina.... And then a woman toting two 20# propane tanks passes you...where the heck was she coming from ? I hafta say, that was one wild adventure you had there. That would have been a two day hike for me.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I asked my husband if he could name one favorite day hike and he just chuckled. For us, we have favorite hikes in places we camp regularly, and even from home. I can't do the hikes I did once upon a time, so most of the true hiking is now DH's.

South Rim, Grand Canyon NP: one of DH's routine/favorite hikes is to hike down South Kaibab, across the Tonto Plateau, out to Plateau Point, and up Bright Angel.
    He's done it enough that we even have a routine for accomplishing it - he takes the TV, parks it at the Visitor Center and hops the first Orange Route shuttle of the day (there is no private vehicle access to the SK trail head). I take the Blue shuttle to the VC, and move the TV to the Backcountry Information Center. I usually walk along the Rim and hop the shuttle as conditions (weather and crowds, at times) and ambition dictate; sometimes I head back to the campsite. DH knows where the TV is, so he can find it; he usually calls me when he reaches the Rim so he knows where I am, if not in sight.

At home: South Peak in the Sandia Mtns. He tries to hike it at least once a year. Depending on which trail he chooses, he hikes from our house, or drives to the trail head.

North Rim, Grand Canyon: North Kaibab and Widfors trails are DH's usual hikes when we're there. I hike part of Widfors, it heads through the forest and has great views of the Canyon from time to time.

Colorado: almost any trail into the Weminuche Wilderness. From one of our favorite campgrounds (Thirty Mile), there are two trails - I can hike as far as I want, DH often day hikes as well as backpacks from the CG. From the CO Rally CG (Vallecito) this year, there is also a trail into the Weminuche. DH plans a backpack, but he will first day hike to check out a critical stream crossing.

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Currently my son and I did about 7 miles to Warren Peak, 5,103ft, at Black Rock Canyon in Joshua Tree NP. Mind you he is 8yo and blessed with Down Syndrome, proud papa hike right there!!!

However, hiking is like pizza, I've never had bad pizza!!!

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

My favorite is always the one that I haven't done yet. I love exploring wherever I am.

10. jumpoff

I wish I had more time to be adventurous to explore places that I haven't hiked yet. Some would disagree but to me a Florida hiking is boring..... I just can't get into hiking here. A good hike to me is one where the effort spent needs to result in a nice payoff of something to see...a great mountaintop view, a nice waterfall or some historic building or remnant of one. I don't have much free time so when we head to the mountains of SC, NC, and Tn. I usually end up doing a hike that I've already done because I wanna see that sight again and I have enough of them that I'm not just repeating a few over and over again. ....

11. jumpoff

That's great you guys get to spend so much time together. That is one thing unique about a hike as a family activity, it keeps everyone together and engaged. No cell phones, no drifting off...a time you really get to focus on your kids or your partner. I can't think of too many other activities where this is true.

But Haybale unlike you... I've had bad pizza.

12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have to choose Mills Lake in the Rocky Mountain National Park. I have been lucky enough to hike this in the summer, fall and with snowshoes in the winter snow. It's not a strenuous hike but it's very rewarding. The hike starts in an aspen forest, goes along Alberta Falls a waterfall in a narrow gorge with water thundering down. Ending at Mills Lake. The views along the hike are stunning and at the end Mills Lake is surrounded by mountains that are reflected perfectly on the water.
    Picture is from google

Attached Files:

13. world traveler

world traveler Member

14. jumpoff

That's what I'm talkin about...a hike with a great view along the way !!! That's some beautiful scenery. How long was the hike or about how long did it take you to do it ?

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My favorite so far is the Flume Gorge in the white mountains New Hampshire. With a close second, Old Man Cave @Hocking hills SP, Ohio. I feel like I traveled to a different country hiking those trails. Sadly I am limited to what trails I can hike on due to my knees, so I probably miss out on some good ones. Next stop in my adventures, Watkins Glenn in New York. I haven't ventured out past the East coast states yet, so probably not as exciting for those who are on the west.

16. jumpoff

I never heard of the Flume Gorge so I just googled it. Those pictures of it explain why you liked it so much. That had to be a lot of fun for you.

17. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Still looking for a life partner... Just me and my best buddy!!

Recently got him a metal detector, that's some fun bonding time!!

18. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

My Daughter Kelly and I always took our time on this one. Stopping for the views. We probably took about 4 hours on it.
    http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/mills-lake.htm

I'm looking for hikes other than Chimneys and LaConte for the Smokies if anyone has favorites there!

19. jumpoff

I'm going to have to put Mills Lake on my list. I used your link and read about it, I like the fact that there were many different aspects to it. I'm gonna have to go out west one of these days....

20. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

I should of put a date on when I did that...maybe 2001...and the woman who passed me, I stopped her and asked her how she could be so fit and and she worked for exum mountain guides and she ran the tanks up to the camp/cabin at the lower saddle and exchanged them every week. My two friends were about 30 minutes behind me. They were soaked from the storm and I was asleep in the bed of my truck.