your multi tool kit?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Arlyn Aronson, Jul 27, 2019.

1. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I'll second (third?) the suggestion to make your own. We have one that's about 6 x 15 x 4 inches tall that fits nicely behind the back seat in our truck. Standard stuff like screwdrivers, wire cutters/strippers, electrical tape, sockets. I'm sure there's more, but it's honestly not my wheelhouse. :) The only things that we specifically keep in the PUP are fuses.

Just using that kit, we've been able to replace the electric coupler between the PUP and the truck, and were able to rehang the canvas on the small bunkend when it fell down on our first trip out.

The good part about making your own is that you can customize it with actual *quality* tools that you might need. It definitely doesn't need to be big- as my partner says, you just need enough to get you through until you get home.

2. ReGuLtr

ReGuLtr New Member

I agree that some of the Harbor Freight stuff certainly isn't the best quality ever, but this is the kit that I use and it's great to keep in the camper.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-sets/130-pc-tool-kit-with-case-63248.html

It takes up almost no room, is pretty comprehensive, and CHEAP!! They usually sell it for $30 when they have big sales.

I wouldn't rely on it if I needed to use it daily for my job, but for a camper it's tough to beat!!

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Blackripley likes this.
  4. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

I bought a cheapy harbor freight tool kit to leave in pup. Works great and if stolen I'm out 25 bucks..

5. Gilligan

Gilligan New Member

Just be careful when buying on the cheap side… brands like Jobmate aren't expensive, but can break easily when subject to strain. There is nothing worse than your tool breaking while trying to fix something already broken! I was lucky to find out while working on the pup in the driveway at home… since then, I have bought an average sized tool box, and fitted it with decent quality tools.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

If we are out someplace and have a flat tire, then the tire iron breaks when we try to replace it with the spare. That's not a fun outing. If the tool breaks, then we remain at camp wondering how to patch things up and get home.

Gilligan likes this.
  7. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Honestly buy a quality name brand kit. The cheaper ones will just agravate you. Stripped screwdriver tips rounded bolts.
    I carry a stanley tools socket set a impaxt socket that fits tt and tv lug nuts breaker bar cordless impact gun and a good set of all around tools. Ive lent lots of tools at campgrounds but never had to borrow one. Oh and a good floor jack is essential. Yes they are heavy but wont fold like a cheap car one for flats. Plus i can lift the TT to change a flat. Its saved me already once last year.

8. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

I have 4 lol my great grandfather but they still work and work in tight spaces!