Your thoughts on Somerset vs. Rockwood vs Flagstaff vs. Opus

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Eville Edna, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

Hi there,

I'm looking to get a PUP this year, I'm a seasoned camper and have a brilliant canvas set-up but I want to feel better in the morning and not make a cup of tea - outside - in my PJs anymore...

I would like some feedback on the following brands please. Most 'reviews' don't seem to be reviews at all, they're just dealers going through the specs with no critical views or real world experience - "Everything's just so great!!!" And we know it isn't, always... I need my $$ to be spent well. I'm all about good design and good build, I don't need too many fancy bits that are just one more thing to go wrong, like power-lifts etc.

So, my main issue is my driveway, it's steep from the road and I fear anything without decent ground clearance will bottom out. My other needs/wants are a heated outdoor shower, a loo and a furnace. I can pretty much do without anything else. Which points me towards these:

Somerset Evolution
    Rockwood Extreme Sports Package
    Flagstaff Sports Enthusiast
    Opus Off Road

The Somerset seems good but they seem difficult to track down. Especially the ones without the slides, I don't want a slide. I'm using a 2014 Honda Ridgeline so want to keep it to a 10ft box and the weight down as much as poss.

Before the issue with the driveway became apparent, we had looked at Vikings but we were amazed at how poor the build quality was, they barely looked like they would withstand a road trip, let alone be used to live in as well which is why I'm a bit leary of the Rockwood and Flagstaff given they're made by the same company.

The Opus is my favourite so far but it's really expensive and I just don't think I'll be able to afford one of those - but it's nice to window shop I guess.

Any constructive feedback on any of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Viking is a manufacturer owned by Forest River, and Rockwood/Flagstaff is another manufacturer owned by Forest River - but that is about all they have in common, I would at least go and look at the Rockwood and Flagstaff.
    I had a Rockwood highwall, we were happy with it and its quality. it held up just fine in the 5 years we had it (we towed it all over the place - 19,000 miles). We then traded in the Rockwood and went to a Flagstaff hybrid, which has been towed about 12,0000 miles in 3 years and is holding up just fine. The real selling point for me was the heated mattresses we had in both the popup and hybrid. We did have some issues, mostly user caused but nothing catastrophic (made a bunch of mistakes as newbies with the popup - steep learning curve). would i buy another, yep.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have a Somerset E2 and love it. The units are a great legacy to the Fleetwood/Coleman campers. Solid construction!

If you're purchasing new, your option are limited to the E3 (in 3 different configurations) and the Utah.

[​IMG]

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The Opus really isn't in the same category as the others on your list which are conventional hard roof popups. Having owned several Fleetwood popups and about to own yet another one this spring having returned from The Darkside I'd hands down give the nod to Somerset as it's essentially a Fleetwood, based on the same engineering drawings, and built using much of the machinery used to manufacture previous Fleetwood campers.

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

You might look at the Taxa Cricket and Mantis. I find them really interesting. Like Opus, they're a bit pricey.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The Rockwoods and Flagstaffs are fundamentally the same. Different options are available, but you are still buying a Forest River pup.

7. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

I did have a look at these (and a friend has a Cricket) and they look rock solid but it would have to be the Mantis to have any growing room for the family, and apart from the sale price of $37k (gulp!) I'm only pulling with a mid-size truck and it's heavier that I want. Thanks for the suggestion though.

MrsSquid likes this.
  8. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I can personally vouch the Rockwood ESP model. Last year we purchased a 2018 BH2280ESP. One of the main items that I loved on this model was the clearance like you stated. We have a sloped driveway and I have had zero problems backing in. The wheels are 15 inch alloy rims and they look mean. LOL We also opted to get an indoor shower/toilet installed on our unit. The ESP models have heated outdoor showers as a standard option. The furnace works great. We only camped once last fall where we needed to utilize it, kept us plenty warm when over night temps were in the 30s. The ESP models come with heated mattresses as well on both ends.

Dry weight is 2550 lbs and my TV is a 12 Tacoma. Pulls well for a heavier PUP.

If you want any pictures of clearance or anything, please let me know.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

When Theseus says different options are all that differs between Rockwood and Flagstaff, it appears to be only things like upholstery color. They are really really the same. If you want to get one of them, decide which based on the one with the best dealer or the lowest price.

theseus likes this.
  10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

If your main issue is the driveway clearance, then consider buying an older PUP and doing an axle flip. You'll gain more clearance and save a ton of money compared to the new ones you're looking at.

Eville Edna likes this.
  11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

When I was looking around back in 2008 the STARCRAFT R/T OFF-ROAD series was the only ones that had massive frames... All of the others I looked at had 2X4 frames

This is mine 2x6 inches
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I guess the STARCRAFT models are not made anymore... Mine is the 2008 version...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We have a Flagstaff and love it. We bought new last year and have been out five times.
    Our driveway is not flat where it meets the street. It's like we jump the curb to pull in. The it slopes down a lot to our side garage . We thought we needed the SE with the higher tires but our salesman said if we weren't off roading we didn't need and we are fine.
    We looked at both Rockwood and Flagstaff and preferred the fabric cushions on Flagstaff to the pleather on Rockwood. I think they are more comfortable in hot weather. I think the SE has pleather.
    Hope this helps.

13. erich82

erich82 Active Member

You could also look at Jayco. You can get the baja package option, which includes 15inch tire and additional ground clearance. They have 2 (newer) 12 foot models (one with a slide out, and the other with 2 dinettes).

14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Flagstaff and Rockwood are the same campers with different numbers. On the hybrids they keep the same model numbers. Onto new units now. It either Somerset or Forest River. All including Jayco pups are made by forest river. Same **** different stickers for all forest river and they are garbage. The Somerset are the only quality pups made now.

15. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My new $14,500 piece of crap flagstaff 625d back in 2010 I know garbage and it has gone downhill since then. This one was laminated practically 1/8 inch panels. Frame flexed, doors opened while towing and it was a Classic series not a garbage Mac/freedom. On Mac and freedom you could not use a wdh hitch. That should be a clue into garbage construction from the frame on up. 81443569-C7B2-46AC-BAF7-4E314080B0F3.jpeg

I now have a 2007 Jayco 1206 which was double the quality level of my 2010 Flagstaff/Rockwood. The 2007 has aluminum panel sides and front and rear diamond plate. Roof is aluminum skinned over wood.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Forest River does not own Jayco....

Rusty2192 likes this.
  17. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

18. erich82

erich82 Active Member

19. Eville Edna

Eville Edna New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. there's lots to think about. Something cropped up today and that's a Fleetwood E2 or Evolution. Where on earth does that fit in with everything? With Somerset?

I'm so confused by all the variables.....!

20. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

The Somerset lineage is the same as Coleman/Fleetwood. Fleetwood is the core company/design. They made campers under the Coleman brand too. They stopped/bankrupted/got bought by some fund and shut down in the mid/late 2000s. The designs and employees moved down the street (in the town of Somerset) to A-Liner and kept building pretty good popups. The name is a nod to the fact that its the same people.

The designs of Somersets are really similar to the Feetwoods they came from- you can see the similarities in a lot of elements - they are just modernized since most of the coleman fleetwoods are late 90s designs with slight updates each model year.

Somerset to Fleetwood means a similar camper, except the Somerset will still respect a lifetime warranty and have some improvements while the Fleetwood version was made by a defunct company that will not. The floor plan and quality will be very, very similar

Eville Edna likes this.