Your tips to drown out noise at bedtime

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by blackbear, Apr 13, 2013.

1. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Then is a viscous circle, of you wake me up early because it's ok for your kids to make noise in the morning, so I'm going to keep you up late. I dislike loud inconsiderate early morning children and crying baby as much as a dislike loud inconsiderate party people. It all makes me grumpy, and I'm camping please let me sleep in the quiet of nature.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'll put on my Smokey the Bear hat. aabc, I hope that when you fall asleep or wake up to the sound of a crackling fire someone else is out there watching it and tending to it. Fires should always be put out when untended.

3. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Parents can have control over children, but not so much a crying baby. I might not enjoy a crying baby early in the morning, but I certainly understand. I'm sure the parents don't like it much either [;)]

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I assume you dry camp or boondock, because it is difficult to not have 'some' noise in a cg. We've only stayed at a SP a few times because we love nature... and quiet. No phones, radios, TV, music or other people. But when we do camp with others we have to take them into consideration, as we hope they do us. Nobody wants to be tired and grumpy.

Diane

5. chefaleslie

Just because you have a crying Baby every one else should understand? Is that the same as my dog wont stop barking so every one should understand? If you decided to have children you should be considerate and wait until they are old enough to be quiet during camp quiet times.

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Nope. I never expect all people to be understanding. That's just human nature.

I personally am much more understanding of a crying baby than I am of loud people late at night around a campfire, loud kids, unattended barking dogs, amplified music, generators, noise from a television...

Life is too short to let a crying baby make you grumpy. I just smile and think, "Better them than me. I'm glad we're past that stage" :)

7. chefaleslie

I just don't like Children.

8. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. You might be happier in a motorhome and staying at RV resorts that restrict children. Or hiking way out to the wilderness where you can be very isolated with nature. It doesn't sound like campground camping meets your needs, since there will always be kids at campgrounds.

I consider camping a family activity, thus always expect kids.

I teach junior high students. I get the biggest kick out kids of all ages.
    Even a crying baby on an airplane brings a smile to my face :)

9. chefaleslie

I also consider Camping a family activity. I do have a family. It's small me and my wife. We spend a lot of time camping and hiking. I love my Popup and, I don't think that I need to switch to a RV until I get older. Either way I like quiet time's at a camp ground to be quiet. I do my part. I do believe that it is part of being at a camp ground to follow quiet time's. It is just as inconsiderate for neighbors on one side to keep you awake playing a guitar at 12am as it is to have a loud child at 6am regardless of the age of the child. I have not had any problems with either of these issues at any State parks that I have stayed at.

10. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

When I camp I can only hope there are some kids making noise. If they are there that means my kids are probably playing with them. If all the kids are playing there is a good chance that the parents are relaxing...and that is exactly why I go camping!

11. chefaleslie

Kid's making noise is fine, just not at 6am.

12. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

One of my favorites is the guy who gets up early and accidentally sets off his car alarm. It seems to happen a lot, and it makes me wonder why someone really needs to set their car alarm in the first place.

Greg

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The peaceful sound of a wild river with a whippoorwill singing. We will only boondock. We boondock to get away from the noise of a CG.

14. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We solved the problem by not camping anywhere near children. [CP]

15. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I guess I'm of the who cares crowd, I'm usually the last one to be inside and the first one awake, when camping. I do try to keep friends quiet, after hours. We usually just sit around the fire and remember stories of past outings. Sometimes someone in the group, we camp with, raises their voice in excitement about a particular story. At which time I politely remind them of where we are and that DW is asleep ( that usually works [:D]). Just kidding honey.
    In the AM I get up, make coffee, have a cup, and then usually walk or ride my bike around the area. When I get back I clean up from the night before but try to be quiet . My family and friends usually like to sleep in so I just enjoy the quiet time and wave to the other early risers.

16. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I've read several times that "camping is for kids to let loose and have fun". Fine and dandy but camping is also for grown-ups. I see no real reason for anyone to expect me to "boondock" especially with my 91 year old mother or not camp on a weekend because parents can't control their kids. If parents like their kids to yell and screech all hours of the night and day, how about they "boondock" so they don't disturb others. Kids can pee in the woods just like I can.

Don't get me wrong, I like kids, but as long as I can change the channel.

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm in general agreement. The "kids will be kids" thing goes only so far. Parents are responsible for their children and are expected to control them. This means keeping them within the socially accepted limits of the situation. They shouldn't be screaming like someone chopped their hands off and they shouldn't be running through other sites. When quiet time comes that means Quiet Time for Everyone.

18. aabc

aabc Member

"I'll put on my Smokey the Bear hat. aabc, I hope that when you fall asleep or wake up to the sound of a crackling fire someone else is out there watching it and tending to it. Fires should always be put out when untended."

UT I couldn't agree more. Usually DH stays up later than I do and being the Eagle Scout and ex-fire crew worker he ALWAYS makes sure the fire is dead out! But hearing it to go to sleep whether in our campsite or a neighbors is soothing to me.

And then to hear it in the morning with hushed voices of (dare I say it), my kids, I find enjoyable.

You know when I hear people say they don't like kids I always wonder if they remember they were kids once [;)]

19. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I hear ya, mandl! (pun intended). I'm hearing impaired also and this works wonders for me. I don't have a problem sleeping with background noise, it's my wife and kids that suffer.

And the one I absolutely HATE is the guy that shows up with a bucket lantern and expects that the entire campground for 100 yards around his site likes it lit up like daylight all night long. We had one come in there sites over from us and I could read inside my p'up with the windows zipped shut. we were at least 70-80 yards from him and he left it on all night long. Even my kids complained.

20. froggie

froggie New Member

I'm sorry, but not all kids or teenagers are evil, loud, and disrespectful. My 5 yr. old grandson gets up early with me and knows to respect the people still asleep. My teenage daughter would surely not stay up late with loud music or talk. Before anyone starts stereotyping children, remember they are our future.