Your tow vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by leningradka, May 6, 2016.

1. davido

davido Active Member

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (350hp EcoBoost). It is equipped with the tow package, and I've added a Primus IQ controller. It pulls the trailer like there's nothing there. Tow mode is great. So is sway control built into its traction control system. Mileage isn't quite as good as the base-models. It gets about 22mpg on the highway, or 15 towing.

My trailer weighs a little over 3000 pounds loaded. The tongue is heavier than I like (450 pounds) but the Explorer doesn't seem to mind.

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

2005 GMC Yukon Denali that includes a 6.1 L engine. Tows well in mountains and everywhere else.

3. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We towed with our 2008 Toyota Tundra was easy - see picture: [​IMG]

4. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

I may have breathers life back into the truck for now. We will see!
    Shuang2, any recommendations on where to take the PUP for service? I'm in central Phoenix! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I don't know where to take our pup for service - basically I did "when possible" everything.
    Our pup was always in nearly perfect condition within the half year we owned.

6. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Highlander has a full frame under it like the 4Runner. It is the RAV4 (that I drive) which is a uni-body construction like a car. The Highlander is actually quite a capable vehicle.

7. sfrancois06

sfrancois06 Member

I own a Tacoma TRD with the tow package, I can't say enough about my Toyota! As mentioned before you may not get all the "bells and whistles" you may find in the other makes but they are great trucks! From what I can tell the 4 Runner is a SUV version of the Tacoma.

8. CheyennePU

CheyennePU New Member

For those that have an Explorer and specifically the guys with the 2012, do you have a trans cooler on it? I have a 2012 and just picked up a 3000# Cheyenne. I towed it back from Hamilton MT to Easter WA without issue but I did notice a little oil smell a few days later. Handled it well and really like the TV but I'm curious about the trans as I'll be pulling in hilly areas. Thanks.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Incorrect. The highlander, like the Pilot, new Explorer, Traverse, etc, is a car-based unibody, not body on frame truck.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/highlander/

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Sorry, couldn't find the edit button. I wanted to add that I'm not saying it isn't a capable TV, just pointing out that it is unibody. I trust Toyota's engineers with their ratings.

11. Hogeyphenogey

Hogeyphenogey Member

4-door Tacoma TRD Offroad. 4.0 v6 and 4x4. My popup is miniscule- Colorado weighing about 600# full- but I like tossing the coolers and firewood in the bed under the tonneau, our clothes and bedding in the truck and taking off. Perfect combo for us.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our Explorer does have the tow package and does have the trans/power steering cooler. Does yours have the tow package? The Explorer is rated for 5,000 lb. Did you engage the Tow/Haul button?

13. CheyennePU

CheyennePU New Member

Yes I engaged the tow/haul button and like I said it handled the trailer fabulously. I bought the TV used so I'll have to do some research to see if I have the cooler as well. Thanks.

14. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi 1/2 ton that I tow my TT with, but I also just bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited with a 4500 lb tow capacity. I am currently headed to Edmonton and stopped for the evening. I have to say that this Jeep has a lot of get up and go..

15. CarribeanCamper

CarribeanCamper CarribeanCamper

[​IMG][​IMG][emoji41]

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk

16. CarribeanCamper

Caribbean Camper here, I Posted our 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6, I use the Powerful Pick~Up to Tow eighter my 12' StarCraft fully loaded (inside)and also loaded the back of truck and back sit.{ window to window} or when used to Tow my 18' boat with a 115 HP Yamaha. "NO" Swerving or Neck Pulling. Great truck. For highway or hard rocky Rd. Recommend this V6 with eyes close. Thumbs Up:):):) And also excellent in gas. Att. Caribbean Camper[emoji41] [emoji304]

17. CarribeanCamper

Even a 3.5 C/u freezer in back compartment fully loaded. Bumper to Bumper

18. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

We tow with an Armada and it pulls the Niagara like its not even there. No one will fault you for going with the 4Runner- double check to make sure it has the factory tow package. I wouldnt tow my Niagara with anything less.

19. Tlorenz

Tlorenz New Member

99 Silverado

Attached Files:

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We noticed an improvement with putting kayaks on the truck when we pulling also.. 3 different trucks and 2 HTT.
    As for a TV...We have had several older Toyotas, truck and 4runners....great service. DIL has a Highlander and loves it.