Zeer Pot evaporative cooling

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by wl7cpa, May 23, 2016.

1. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Wondering if anyone else is using or built a Zeer Pot for Boondocking and what your experiences are with one. For those that don't know, they are a passive cooling system using evaporative cooling with two clay pots, sand, water, and a thin towel covering. With great success and satisfaction, I have two I take along and I can keep vegetables and fruits for more than a week, but I usually eat them first. Google for plans, very simple.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Just Googled it...interesting!!

3. samh

samh Campin'

Very cool concept. Looks like a great, energy-free way to extend the life of those fruits and vegetables. I'll think I'll keep the beer on ice though.

4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

That's really interesting. Thanks for showing us this.

5. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Here is one site dedicated to making the Zeer Pot system.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Practical-Zeer-Pot-evaporative-cooler-non-electr/

I found an 18 inch and 14 inch pot for under $40. Nice fit with good spacing for the effect you need. I bought an indoor outdoor thermometer to experiment with location. Having it exposed to the wind, and obviously out of direct sunlight is a key. Once you add the sand it is actually a little heavy, heavier than I anticipated.

6. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Well I used the Zeer Pot in Wyoming for 2 months with great success keeping my eggs, vegetables, fruits cool to about 50-60 degrees when it got up to 80 degrees outside. The key was keeping in a shady, windy location, and always re hydrating the sand. Low humidity in WY helped. Never work in a state like Florida or Georgia. I plan to build a different type of evaporator cooler, more like a tee-pee design and burlap with a constant water source. When I get a working design I'll post.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Coleman coolers with ice work real well to keep things chilled. Just saying [;)]