Zipper issue

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by vermontgirl, Jan 27, 2019.

1. vermontgirl

vermontgirl Member

I have a question... one of our window zippers is missing a few teeth in one or two spots...why cant we cut out the bad part replace with a good zipper section making sure its sewn really well. The canvas is 2 pieces for whole camper and is fine. Really hate to have to remove it to fix

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I think it would be hard to get the new teeth to align properly, but I'm not a seamstress by any means. Zippers are fairly precision assemblies. Don't know what the age of your camper is, but teeth profiles change. YKK supplies a large section of the zipper market.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Newer zipper tape may not be the same as older tape, you have to match brands, though YKK seems to be the most common. Aligning the teeth or coil would be an issue too.
    One common way to replace long camping zippers like this is to simply sew new zipper tape along the teeth of the old tape. (I learned this from someone who used to do repairs for REI and other camping places in town.) We had to do it on an almost new tent we bought at REI scratch and dent, because someone used duct tap to hold it shut on the first trip.(All that had been really needed was to carefully pinch the slider) We could not get rid of the duct tape goo without melting the tent. I sewed new zipper tape along the old one and that tent served us for years.

4. vermontgirl

vermontgirl Member

So you didnt remove the old zipper, just sewed over it

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Sewed the new tape next to the old teeth, on the tape. We had to check that the new zipper worked in place before sewing.