Zipper Maintenance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by OldBluT2, Oct 20, 2013.

1. OldBluT2

OldBluT2 New Member

I have a vintage camper, but I'm assuming there are zippers on some of the newer PUPs, too. I've found when my canvas is damp the zipper sticks and in some cases splits. In a pinch I used some electrically conductive grease on it (because that's what I had), and it helped. This happens to be for my doorway, so I don't really want to keep it slathered in grease. Anyone have any recommendations for regular maintenance to keep zippers functioning properly?

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I would stay away from any oil or grease - it just attracts dirt and will make it worse. You could try white graphite (as opposed to black that would just make a mess). Silicone spray would be great but you DON'T want to get that on the canvas! You could try getting a little in a small cup and applying with a Q-tip. The way I've heard in the past was to rub a white (uncolored, unscented) candle on the teeth. Keeps them running smooth.

3. OldBluT2

OldBluT2 New Member

I was thinking dry soap but didn't want that mess either; candle wax doesn't sound like a bad idea.

4. mikeam7750

mikeam7750 New Member

Try Beeswax

5. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Wax or soap, and sometimes you have to squeeze the sides of the "shoe" (the zipper pull) closed a little as they open up over time.

6. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Bar Soap is the old tried and true method for zippers. You could also check out a fabric store (Hancock of Joanne's) and they may have some product available or a suggestion.

7. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a professional tailor and he tells me candle wax. Use a white unscented candle and rub wax on the zipper.

8. OldBluT2

OldBluT2 New Member

Thank you, all. I think I'll give the candle wax a try.

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

candle wax is good and so is carmex or lip balm. Easy to apply and no mess. Keep it in the camper.