zipper torn out of vinyl window

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Keating, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Keating

Keating Member

The zippers in my side windows seem too tight to make the turn where they turn 90º from vertical to horizontal at the top. They managed to be fully zipped at some point but opening and closing the windows got to be too much for the zipper as the stitching has torn through the vinyl. At this point, with it torn, the zipper is easy to open/close, but there is a 6" opening where the zipper and vinyl are separated.(torn from each other)

Any suggestions? It seems like it wouldn't be an uncommon occurance.
    The only thing I can come up with at the moment, is to completely remove the seam across the bottom of the window, removing it completely from the side wall, then remove the zipper (remove stitches) from the vinyl, and fashion a sort of fabric frame/flange 3-4" or so, around the perimeter of the vinyl, sandwiching with contact cement on both sides of the vinyl, then re-sew the zipper to this fabric frame/flange. The entire side canvas woould have to be removed to re-sew the window to the sidewall (or attach the bottom of the vinyl window to the side wall by another means, like velcro, making the window "removable")

2. mowmow

mowmow New Member

I have a small area like that on the upper corner of two windows in our new-to-us PUP. My fixit plan is the following:
    Remove the stitching and the zipper 2 inches past the torn area.
    Trim off the torn window vinyl just below the sewing perforations
    Cut a replacement piece from clear vinyl that will overlap by about 1 inch
    Cement the replacement piece onto the vinyl window
    Once that cures I’m going to lug my sewing machine into the PUP and restitch the zipper onto the repaired vinyl.

If anybody has a better idea or suggestions I’m definitely interested. I won’t get to this repair for another month or two.

Keating likes this.
  3. Keating

Keating Member

I’m trying to avoid the vinyl glued to vinyl idea. Camper is going on for winter storage in about a month, so I plan to take the panel out before storing it and hopefully work on it during the off-season

4. mowmow

mowmow New Member

My window is very large, essentially the whole street side of the camper, so I don’t want to take it out. I’m going to use clear vinyl for the repair piece so it won’t change the color of the window and won’t be very visible.
    Your idea will work well too.

5. Nimron

Nimron Member

If you can get the section of tent off of your camper, you could find an awning company, or awning repair shop. Could be a relatively inexpensive fix. My jayco tenting is all one piece, so won't work for my current jayco, but I have owned other popups that the individual sections removed and zipped together at the seams. In my little tent trailer (pictured) I can simply take the entire tent off for repair.

6. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Checking in to see how any of the above ideas were successful. I've got the same problem. I had restitched the torn away places with dental floss. Worked great till the weather turned cold recently...now the vinyl is tighter and it ripped again when zipped up. I do not want to pay $400 for a whole new side panel!

Indiobravo likes this.
  7. BBd

BBd New Member

I had the same issue on the popup I just bought. The vinyl is badly cracked, is no longer clear, and has shrunk so much that there is a gap between the door velcro and canvas velcro of up to 4". The local canvas shop wanted $250 to replace the vinyl. One of the shops that provides complete canvas replacement wanted $350 to replace the entire panel, but needed 10 -12 weeks. I am heading out tomorrow, so that was not an option.

I ended up ordering a pair of 6" by 6' self-adhesive velcro sheets and gluing them back-to-back. So I have a large piece of two-sided velcro to fill the gap. I will replace the vinyl sometime next year. I used packing tape as a temporary patch to the existing vinyl.