Zippers stuck!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ValettaC, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ValettaC

ValettaC New Member

Does anyone have any handy hints or tips for getting very old zippers to move? They are all intact, no teeth missing, no loose places, just corroded and stuck. Thanks. [:D]

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I know they do sell zipper lubricants. You might want to try a sporting goods store. I know Dick's Sporting goods around here did not carry it when I was looking for it.

To unstick them you can probably try a drop or two of oil (like 3 in 1) at the point it is stuck. Don't force it, slowly move it back and forth to free it up.

3. magicfish

magicfish New Member

You can also try rubbing the zipper with soap or candle wax.

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Candle wax has always been the annual treatment for all my sporting gear (that has zippers!) ~ Especially the p'up zippers in that they would be the most difficult and expensive expensive to replace.

When unzipped ... simply run the candle across the teeth on both sides. Then zip close and back open to make sure all is well. Don't know anything better.

5. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

I use Vinegar just put a few drops and come back in 15 min

6. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Silicone Spray works like a champ. To keep from staining the canvas, go to a scuba dive shop or surf shop. The silicone spray used for wet suits is non staining.

7. ValettaC

ValettaC New Member

Thanks all! Will give these suggestions a try as soon as I'm finished scrubbing the canvas clean.... could be the year 2020 at this rate! lol Lots of mold and mildew but it's showing improvement.

8. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I'd avoid using oil - it can stain the canvas and attracts dust and gunk into the zipper. First thing I'd try is good old candle wax. Rub a regular candle along the zipper (on both sides if you can get to them both) and try to slide the zipper slide into the wax. You'll have to work it back and forth in and out of the wax to get a coat of wax inside the slide, but it'll eventually get in there. Once the zipper is open, rub the candle along the teeth to lube them up too. You're not trying to cake the teeth with wax, just get enough in there to help the zipper slide.

Metal zippers do corrode over time and lubing them with wax will help prevent that. As mentioned before, there are liquid zipper lubes available at sewing shops, upholstery supply stores, and some camping outfitters, but I've never used them so I don't know how well they work.

For plastic zippers, I use silicone dry lube - just avoid getting it on the canvas, because it WILL stain.

9. ValettaC

ValettaC New Member

Thanks Dusty! What part of NV are you in? We were out in the Vegas area last March (my first trip) and I totally fell in love with the desert! I can't wait to get this Pup road and camp ready so we can head out there. I want to camp in the Valley of Fire so bad it's pathetic! lol

10. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

LOL!

I'm up near Reno, about 7 1/2 hours north of Vegas. I love the desert too, but it's too ding-donged hot down there! [:D]

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I used a crayon when mine was stuck...it was what I had with at the campground and it worked.

12. ValettaC

ValettaC New Member

Dusty, oh yea, it's hot all right but that's why we went end of Feb., beginning of March. The weather was perfect, high 60's to low 70's in the daytime and night temps in the 50's. Perfect sleeping weather! :) Reno is a pretty nice area too though.

A crayon! That is totally awesome Hacksaw! I guess we'll have to take the grandkids camping with us so we'll be prepared! LOL What a great idea!

13. raymonk

raymonk New Member

This posting reminded me that one of the zippers on my pup was stuck the last time we camped.So, this morning I used a combination of a couple of methods suggested by fellow members on this site. First, I used a some silicone spray at both sides of the zipper and slowly moved the zipper back and forth to free it. I was surprised how quickly this freed it considering that the zipper was really stuck on the track. I then took a candle and coated the entire zipper track with the wax. This worked so well that I decided that even though the other zippers were working fine, I'd coat them with the candle wax too.