Zodi Outback Gear. Are they still in business?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Mar 17, 2021.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So the discussion of portable showers comes up here, a LOT. One of the better established companies / product lines is Zodi Outback Gear with their Hot Tap instant hot showers, which are popular among fancier tent campers, PU campers, small TT campers, and van lifers.

I bring this up because I have recommended Zodi as a matter of course as I own one, and for the most part am happy with the performance of the product. However my Zodi did not come with the housing and water carrier bucket, but rather a carry bag.

I was looking to grab one of the buckets last year, and noticed that nobody seems to carry their stuff any more. In early January I tried calling and emailing Zodi with no reply.

Today at about 1:15 P.M. CST I tried calling the company sales, support, and operator lines, which still ring and the voicemail system still picks up, but nobody answers.

I suspect due to the timing that Zodi became a victim of the global virus issue we all deal with these days.

While not the worst thing for me personally as I already own my Zodi and have no issues with it, I would love to keep pointing folks to it, or something similar enough for a good, hot, off grid shower.

The problem isn't just that Zodi isn't available, but there aren't many currently on the market available with similar or better features, meaning a propane heating element and an included battery operated pump, and of course the spray nozzle.

The only one I can find in the similar price range to where the Zodi was, is the Mr. Heater Base Camp BOSS instant hot shower.

Now there are TONS of the instant hot water heaters, that lack pumps, the kind that DIY RV builders are using, and that's fine if you want to add a 12V pump and run it off the camper battery, but what about those setting up in shower tents?

I know it's a niche market, but it would seem to me that with folks camping for travel instead of air plane and hoteling it, it is a niche that needs to be scratched...

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't know if zodie are still in business, but I like this competitor one:

Joolca Hottap

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That looks like a good one. However twice the price of the Zodi...

The bucket with the faucet is pretty awesome though...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You are a BAD influence. Well not really.

As I have explained I have back issues and setting up standard pole tents can be painful for me, so I have been in the market for a 2 room instant set tent. And I was about to bite the bullet and buy an Ozark Trail 2 room instant shower tent, when the Joolca Ensuite Double came up in a search for instant set shower tent at $165.00. I had previously entered for the drawing of a Hot Tap Nomad and wish I had won it but I digress, so they sent me a discount code.

Ozark Trail 2 room instant shower tent cheapest price, $149.99 and out of stock.

Joolca Ensuite Double after discount code. $140.00 and ready to ship...

I've been concerned about the space per side as the Cabelas was 4.5 feet x 4.5 feet each way, but I don't need to multi use each side. 3.5 feet x 3.5 feet is each side, and I can easily manuver around in this space as I tested at home using my hallway closet which happens to have those measurements. No problem at all.

And my wife was creeped out by the idea of having to keep towel / clothes outside of the shelter as you showered. So the 2 room was a must have.

So instant set tent, EZ Up dining canopy, and instant set shower shelter. As close to pop up camping as I can get until my truck is fixed and the PU is ready to go...

Oh, and I may have a line on a guy that does these goofy Ford engines and knows how to rebuild them to last... I'd like to keep the OE long block if I can...

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Interested in your impression on that shower enclosure, i'm in the market also.

I remember this thread when you started it, and the Joolca linked above. I'm convinced they are the new restructured ZODI.. they even use the Hot Tap name... which would be a trademark infringement otherwise yes?

I have been keeping an eye on Marketplace, theres usually a newer or lightly used ZODI unit available.. but always too far to make it worth my while. I'd like another..

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I am not sure. Zodi has their site up still, the phone system is still up, it's just nobody ever answers. It's like the Zombie apocalypse happened but the services haven't been cut off yet...

I realy don't know about Zodi and Joolca being the same. The Zodi is much cruder technology, and a radically lower price point. Decent quality stuff that does the job, it's just rudimentary in design and features. Sort of the old Chevy truck with the manual windows and locks, a 3 speed column shifter and a Thriftmaster 6 vs. a new Silverado with all the doo dads you could ever want. With nothing in between... Seems like too huge of a leap all the sudden, and if they are the same company, why not merge customer focused operations?

But I digress. I am now officially drooling over the Joolca Hot Tap Nomad kit.... I wonder how far away from a creek you can set up?

Overland likes this.
  7. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I see these base systems on amazon/ebay all the time- enclosure and fittings aside. they are extremely popular in china, korea, and south east asia, as many of their kitchens and bathrooms are traditionally "open air"- (i.e. not fully enclosed). You'll see these used as a point of use hot water dispenser. The tech is very simple (flame, heat exchanger tubes). I've seen a few people on youtube build their own in a box.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I used a Sams Club tomato sauce can (made a LOT of marinara that went into mason jars...) and some 3/8" copper tubing I coiled up to make a stove top heat exchanger as I was expermienting with trying to get white gas or regular unleaded gas as my sole fuel source. I ended up giving up and going with a Camplux 5L that I modded with quick connects and extended hoses. The on demand on / off works exceptionally well, and, well I think Zodi lost out... Too bad. The stuff they made was good, they just needed to keep innovating and building better and better stuff...

RIP Zodi Outback Gear...